Clanking noisy boiler turns itself off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About early November I had the 3 way valve and Thermocouple replaced on my Boiler - sorry to be a little vague but I believe its a honeywell. I normally have it set to heating & water but only control it by turning up and down my wall thermostat.

It had been totaly fine until I turned the wall thermostat up late last night. I could hear an awful clanking sound from the airing cupboard on the landing almost instantly. I went to look and expected to see a small creature hitting it with a large spanner!

I turned the boiler off from the mains and looked to seek advice today. Colleagues and forums all seemed to suggest that it would be trapped air. I bled my rads starting from the highest one and sure enough there was a 10 second hiss as air escaped. I also checked the other rads but found no air. However this hasn't stopped the noise coming from the boiler. If turned on the pilot light fires up and sounds like its starting nicely for about 5 seconds. Then the clanking starts and lasts for 20 seconds before it seems to totaly shut itself down. During this time I think I can hear a gurgling noise but cant be sure.

I have also checked the header tank and this is full.

Is there a possibility that there is air in the boiler itself and if so is there any way I can release this? Obviously any suggestions more than gratefully received! PLEASE HELP![code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your quick response.

Is there any way that I can check/test the pump? I am more than happy to ask a professional to come and replace it but after the crimbo period my finances are slim to nil and I just wanted to ensure that I am not needlessly throwing money at it.

I have also read about low pressure but I cannot find a gauge on my model?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Many thanks again. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow!

Much appreciated!

Replaced Pump - had totaly locked up. Many thanks for all of your advice! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back