Clarification of part P - simple work in a kitchen

a) a 2-gang 13A cannot draw more than a nominal 26A because of the fuses in BS 1363-1 plugs

not at all sure about that. Just how long will a standard BS1362 fuse take to open if it is carrying say 16A? How long if it was in use outside in these currently freezing temperatures? If you can't get more than 26A out of a double gang socket then you aren't trying hard enough. A word of warning: not all 13A dual gang outlets take kindly to running at 26A.

Don't try this on your house wiring: use a test bed. As much as it ought to be safe it is an expensive experiment if the house wiring isn't as good as it should be.

[can't find a characteristic curve for a BS1362 fuse must have filed the info somewhere probably up in the loft]

Sponsored Links
Shame they had to put in the word "generally". If they are generally not notifiable, under what conditions do they become notifiable?

AD part P tells you in the nextt paragraph,

"Consumer unit replacements are, however, notifiable."

not at all sure about that. Just how long will a standard BS1362 fuse take to open if it is carrying say 16A? How long if it was in use outside in these currently freezing temperatures? If you can't get more than 26A out of a double gang socket then you aren't trying hard enough. A word of warning: not all 13A dual gang outlets take kindly to running at 26A.
a 2-gang 13A cannot draw more than a nominal 26A....

Hmmm it seems I've opened a real can of worms on this one! Oh goody I like a good healthy debate!

Circuit protection is the next thing I need to consider whether I change the faceplate or not- the current unit is a combined cooker connection unit and single socket. There has never been a cooker connected for at least the 25 years I've been in the house and the socket is used for the fridge. Im hoping that whoever took the cooker connection out downrated the fuse at the fusebox for the circuit (its a separate ring just for this unit on account of it being the cooker originally) but I feel the need to check just in case im running a socket on some hugely high rated fuse!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm it seems I've opened a real can of worms on this one! Oh goody I like a good healthy debate!
Oh we're all in rude health here... :cool:

Anyway...

1) It won't be a ring.

2) You can't overload it because of the fuse in the plug.

3) In terms of fault protection then assuming it was properly done in the first place the fuse won't be too big for the cable size - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81696#81696

4) There appears to be no firm case for there being a limit on the maximum rating for a socket circuit.

5) Even if those who think it's 32A are correct, the chances of a 25+ year-old cooker circuit being more than that are about zero.

6) Given your talk of fuses and wiring over 25 years old you really should have a full inspection done.

Shame they had to put in the word "generally". If they are generally not notifiable, under what conditions do they become notifiable?

AD part P tells you in the nextt paragraph,

"Consumer unit replacements are, however, notifiable."

Yes, but I already covered (or meant to) that in my edit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back