Split: Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope that it is ok (netiquette!) to ask a question relating to someone else post.

Wanted to do some work in my own kitchen but a little unsure due to Part P, notifiable etc etc.

I can see that fitting a plug and then using the nearest socket perfectly ok.

Are you allowed to fit a fused connection unit as described without notifying the authorities (whoever they are) or employing a qualified person who will issue the required paperwork?

Was rather hoping I may be allowed to undertake such simple work but would appreciate some clarification

Its called Hi jacking, please read the forum rules.

BUT I was able to split your post

Sponsored Links
What is the job exactly and where do you propose to carry it out?

Adding a fused connection unit is notifiable to your Local Area Building Control under Part P of the building regs. There are two routes to notify the work. You can notify your LABC yourself and pay their fee before you start work and let them oversee compliance with the building regs (best check the price 1st though as for such a small job it probably isn't worth going this route). The other option is to employ a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme and let them notify LABC via their scheme.

Sorry! Missed the bit about it being in the kitchen....

Sponsored Links
Or you could do the work and not worry. If you don't tell anyone, who's going to know??

If you do this, who's going to know whether it's safe or not? It needs testing after the work is completed to make sure it is safe.

I understand that these things have to be checked to be safe, however what difference does it make if it's in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, utility room or conservertory.
OK yes there is water in a kitchen, but there is water in most utility rooms. If kitchens are that dangerous why remove the requirement for bonding.

Part P is not working, the BCO make thier own rules and charges. Just another Tax!!!!

Oh god, dont start that in here! I started a topic to draw this kind of debate out of all the advice posts! Although I have to admit to being guilty of still preaching a little in some!

Your replies very interesting I can understand the arguments from both doit and securespark and the point made about notifiable from Spark123.

The job I was referring to was to replace an old electric single built in oven with new unit and remove old gas hob (by corgi reg) and fit a replacement 4 ring electric hob. The oven is connected to a combined cooker switch and single socket (must date to 1980's). While just replacing the oven should be a simple swap, to add a hob unit I thought would require more extensive work. I am unsure of the best way to add the hob into the existing circuit - I assume that it would not be safe or best practice to add to the existing cooker switch and that it should have a fused spur connection!

So I guess just a slight dilemma -
1. Do the work myself after establishing best way. Then get it checked out by a pro.
2. Try and find an electrician that is not too busy to fit me in within the next 4 months!

Any suggestions? :D
EDIT
Just found this statement "A cooker switch/control unit may be used to control two or more cooking appliances in the same room (such as an oven/grill and a separate hob unit), as permitted by Regulation 476-03-04, provided it has sufficient current rating."
So in theory looks like I could replace cooker control with a better unit such as the 45amp shown Here.
The question then is what would be the best method of connecting the two units to use this supply?

Lynda, moderator
Thanks for splitting my post. Sorry for breaking the forum rules - should have read them first

Thanks
Tony

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back