Class bit of work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a job today and found the following

Nice and safe.

Not a lot of point using a Surrey flange if you are going to incorporate an airlock.

Fortunately we are changing the boiler and cylider so we could rectify the balls up at no extra cost. Apparently the plumbing was done by the builder when the extension was built.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Ah, a BG special. They installed a similar affair (minus the Surrey flange) when they replaced my parents HW cylinder. Existing 900x450mm cylinder was removed and 1050x450mm put in its place. Rather than T into the existing vertical pipe at the correct point the fitter simply joined onto the tail he'd left after removing old cylinder, albeit now 150mm below top of new cylinder. It works though....

Quite why BG felt the need for a bigger cylinder Im not sure, 3 bed house, 1 bathroom and only the 2 of them there.

As far as I'm concerned it's a safety risk. The open vent should rise from the top of the cylinder continually up to above the storage tank. By dropping first there is a possibility of an airlock forming. If the cold feed is turned off and the heat source comes on it is possible that the working pressure of the cylinder could be exceeded before the airlock was pushed out causing the cylinder to split.

Not good but it must have worked for a few years fine?

Actually it turns out not, since the shower was installed apparently it has coughed and spluttered in use. the customer was blaming water usage elsewhere in the house. This morning he thanked me as the shower worked properly for the first time since it was installed.

Mike

Sponsored Links
How can the working pressure of cylinder be exceeded if the open vent is open to atmosphere

If the open vent is incorrectly piped it can airlock, it is then no longer open to atmosphere until sufficient pressure has been applied to clear the airlock. I'm sure most of us have had an airlock at times that has required mains pressure to shift.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back