1961 House - Does it really need a whole new heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a 1961 house. It was the prototype for the whole estate, each house being individually designed for the original purchaser.

Because it was the prototype, it was built from some sort of very expensive brick - which the builder later realised wasn't cost effective. The original purchaser paid for all sorts of "extras" on the house and the quality really shows, even though it looks dated.

Our plan is to update and extend the house. We've been to look at it with an architect and builder. The builder said it needed rewiring, which I can accept, but he also suggested it requires a new central heating system, which I would query.

The heating works from a Potterton Kingfisher boiler which has been serviced every 6 months (I've seen the service log). I've extended a property before, so I realise that this will need to be relaced and resituated at it currently sits in a chimney stack in the kitchen.

However, the radiators are very substantial and the pipework looks to be in excellent condition. The house is very warm so they're doing the job one wy or another.

My question is - can we not keep the existing central heating system and radiators, simply adding to the system for the extension? This would save us £6k on a project where the figures are already very close to the wire. Also - could we find reclaimed 1960's radiators to install in the new part of the house?? They are quite unusual - never seen anything like them before and been lookign on the internet for some today with no success.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sorry, to make it clear - I know that the boiler needs replacing - it's just the pipes and radiators I'm querying.

none of it "needs" replacing. The whole system may well carry on merrily for another 10yrs+. Kingfishers are bombproof. Only thing I would suggest is to consider how much work it will be to replace various things once the rest of the work has been done. If it will cause problems then maybe replace now otherwise leave it.

My parents have a 1961 house too. Original pipes, original rads, original valves. Everything works fine, and when it was changed over from coal back-burner, everything was flushed out for the Vailant Sine that was fitted in the mid 80s. Has recently had a new Turbomax though.

Will change the old rads though, but only to get more efficient ones. The old imperial pipes are thicker walled than nowadays, and the rads are made of quality steel which is also a thicker grade.

Most important thing is to make sure that the system has the correct mix of corrosion inhibitor. Also, when eventually your excellent Kingfisher needs changing, and as yours has obviously been cared for that won't be a while, make sure the system gets a good flush.

No reason to change a good system, unless it is giving problems. You should see some of the systems that are thrown into new builds these days.

Sponsored Links
Oh good, very reassuring replies

And now onto sourcing matching rads for the extension - any idea where I might get some 1960s ones? All the reclamation sites on the internet seem to deal in victorian type ones

One 'advantage' of skimpy modern radiators and pipes is they heat up and cool down quickly. However, if the heating is continuously modulated rather than simply switched on/off by a timer/thermostat, I suspect the old rads will be fine.

One thing to consider though is: are there many poorly insulated pipes outside the 'heating envelope'? These can make continuous heating inefficient (heat is lost under the ground floor or in the loft).

I recall one old system with iron pipes and cast iron rads. The owners wanted the rads to remain. De-sludger was added (it is difficult to get out the crud in an old iron system) and a plate heat exchanger was fitted between the combi boiler and the rest of the system. This entailed another pump, but protected the boiler. The boiler only heated the plate. Where possible the pipes were lagged. This was about 10 to 15 years ago and the boiler has been fault free since. The boiler water is always clean. The boiler was pressurized using only about a metre of pipe, and the rads still on the F&E tank.

With 1961 systems, beware of one-pipe systems, which can be problems on new boilers. I would rip it out if a one-pipe.

Oh good, very reassuring replies

And now onto sourcing matching rads for the extension - any idea where I might get some 1960s ones? All the reclamation sites on the internet seem to deal in victorian type ones

What do your 60s rads look like? Can you post a pic?

If you are changing or adding radiators, I would only source brand new ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back