New Heating System does not work!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All Sorry for the long Post!!

Had the central heating system renewed about a month or so ago. New Valliant Eco Tex 28K, 11 EcoRads and all piping new. The only bits left from the Old system was the Pump, Hot Water Cylinder, Water Tank and Header Tank. I use to have a micro bore system with 10mm Piping previously which had seen it selby adte!

The new system installed, installer tested the system for 1 hour and then said all was OK. As summer was warm we did not need heating BUT now we call for heating Radiators warm up slowly, Boiler keeps switching off, house eventually does get slightly warm. Installer been back 3 times once to change pump wiring as pump use to run on even after heating was switched off until digital therometer was set to lower temp which then switched off the pump. Other time they tried to remove airllock by use mains pressure to remove airlock. Valliant engineer has looked at the boiler and said its an airlock problem as heat is not dissapated by the pump and rads too quickly and why boilers cuts out! NOw INstaller has said they will not come back to rectify the problem unless we go for a sealed system!! Anyone know where I stand and what the problem is? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your installer is a bit useless. Must be a very big house to have a 28kw boiler. Is that a 428 then?? Hard to advise, as it sounds like a system fault, could be many things. You'll probably need a decent engineer to come in and sort it all out. I'd be talking to trading standards if your installer refuses to fix the problems.

If it's an air lock then get the installer to clear it.

If the boiler and set-up is not suited to an open vent system then they shouldn't have left you with one.

do you know if the installer has put in a 3 port valve or 2x2 port valves ?

Sponsored Links
HI All

Many thanks for the replies the House is 4 Bed Detached, the Boiler is a Valliant Eco Tec Plus 428.

System has a three Port Diverter valve. Hot Water works fine.

Installer says the system will only work if we install a presurised system??

HI All

Many thanks for the replies the House is 4 Bed Detached, the Boiler is a Valliant Eco Tec Plus 428.

System has a three Port Diverter valve. Hot Water works fine.

Installer says the system will only work if we install a presurised system??

he's lying. it should work fine on a properly installed open vent system. If it doesn't work now, I don't see how pressurising it is going to make any difference. If he wants to carry out the work free of charge then fine, but if he wants paying then absolutely no way is this the way forward.

the boiler is trying to push 28 kws of heat through a three port valve :eek: , get the installer to range rate the boiler and upgrade the controls to 2x2 port valves, are the pipes off the boiler 22mm?

So they left the OLD pump in and The Boiler technician says the heat isn`t getting away from the boiler quick enough,. AS a NON Gas Safe , 2 O level Plumber I`d say rude things about Gas Fitters :LOL: :LOL: and ask why no new pump of a suitable size :?: :rolleyes:

Hi Picasso

All Piping is new 22mm and 15mm. Installer wants to install a pressuried system and wants £100 Parts and £150 Labour! Is this normal???

Boiler gets to about 70 Degrees and then shuts off as the Heat from the boiler is not dissapated quickly enough so the Valliant Boiler Engineer said who spent well over 2 hours checking the boiler!!

If it is an airlock can I do anything to diagnose and remove the airlock?

If the "old" pump is a Grunfoss and in good condition there is no need to replace it. I will assume your boiler is a 428 which can work on an open system if there is sufficient head of water above the boiler.

We could diagnose the problem if you or the installer could use the diagnostic codes the boiler can provide. We need the flow and return temperatures, possibly d40 and d41 from memory. I would also set the power lower as its likely to be overated for your house, set d0 to about 18 kW.

But it does sound as if the installer is pretty hopeless! Nothing unusual about that, I see it so often. Just two days ago a registered installer had left the air bleed valve CLOSED and neither he nor another installer could work that out even when the boiler could be heard to be full of air! That cost the owner £84 for my visit but at least it got their hot water and heating back.!

Its the installers responsibility so just keep calling him back. If he fails to sort it out then ask him to call in a professional or if he will not then do that yourself at your installer's cost.

Tony

it sounds like your installer has tried to plumb it up like a combi ie every thing in 22 mm pipes, a 28kw boiler should be done in 28mm up to where it splits for the zone valves, a 3 port valve is too restrictive, this boiler is not forgiving of installer errors, it also needs to be range rated to your system.

[/quote]

not necessary. Up to around 35kw will be ok on steamers providing the rest of the system is correctly designed.[/quote]

very true but it doesnt sound like its correctly designed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back