Potterton Kingfisher 11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We a looking to buy a property built 1961. From what we've read we're guessing its a gravity central heating system - the pipes are really big (about 1"). There is a cylinder upstairs, the boiler is in the kitchen with a flue that goes right through the house terminating via a chimney.
Everything in the house is original. If we wanted to replace the boiler for a condensing boiler would the pipework/radiators need replacing. Could someone in the know enlighten us on what would be involved. See photos
of top up tank next to boiler flue, boiler, rad, cylinder pipework.

Sponsored Links
£2600 in berkshire! wont get much done for that.
Get some verbal quotes over phone for starters by local boys or arrange visits for quotes via estate agents with credit crunch on its way should get some competive quotes and go back to vendors to barter over house price.
good luck.

looking at the pics it will all require replacing, this may well prove to be expensive.

i assume that it is working at present. it may not be particularly efficient by todays standards but i have no doubt that this will be reflected in the asking price for the property.

Sponsored Links
You haven't exchanged contracts, have you!

I hope you have had a proper survey done on the house and are not relying on the HIPS info! The building society survey just tells them if the price is OK; it says nothing about condition - unless it is so bad they won't lend all the money until some work is done.

With a system that old it is worth getting an independent report on the condition of the boiler, asking when it was last serviced and what has been replaced and when.

Also get 3 quotes for bringing the system up to current standards and then use all this info to negotiate a better price with the vendor. Perhaps agree to split the cost 50/50.

dough!!
"assume that it is working at present. it may not be particularly efficient by todays standards but i have no doubt that this will be reflected in the asking price for the property"
the place has been inspected, photos taken & the op is looking for some leverage.
perhaps it might make sense to demolish the whole building & get permission to replace it with six flats or more.
i really do not know.
if they want to upgrade it its up to them, if they want new carpets its up to them, if they want a new kitchen its up to them.

the point is, that is reflected in the price.

Thanks for your comments
Could someone explain 'why' all the pipework needs replacing if a different boiler is installed? Is it simpley the age of the pipework - now 40 years old - or is it to do with the size of the pipework and pressure or what? Many thanks

Thanks for your comments
Could someone explain 'why' all the pipework needs replacing if a different boiler is installed? Is it simpley the age of the pipework - now 40 years old - or is it to do with the size of the pipework and pressure or what? Many thanks
It's more a case of worse case scenario! Remember NOBODY on this, or any other site, has seen the condition of the pipes nor if it has been installed as a single pipe or flow/return system so all can only guess.

Situations such as this demand a site visit if any definitive answers are to be given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back