Classroom Conversion - MakerSpace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am converting a classroom in our school into reading area and MakerSpace (workshop). To separate the two areas so that they can be used concurrently, and have decided to post on here for help along the way. Questions will be prefixed with a bold 'Q', where I would like confirmation on my planned method I'll prefix the statement with a bold 'C'.

First task, emptying the room has been completed :D

Next task is to disconnect a sink unit, I have already found a suitable water supply stop cock in an adjacent toilet.
Plan is to cut the 15mm feed pipes either as close to the partition wall as poss or maybe back in the adjacent toilet.

C I am planning on using 2 x 15mm straight compression fittings with blanking caps?

C For the waste pipe I'll just cap it off and use some poly pipe glue?

I will need some advice on the stud wall. I am relatively happy with the construction but I need help choosing the correct methods to secure it. At either side of the building are steel pillars about 20cm in diameter. There are 4 of these on either side of room (more out in the foyer), I believe they were put in as support (this is an old building faced on the inside and out).

OZPReq9.jpg

Q I am considering positioning these at either end of the stud wall, or putting the stud wall in front or behind them, the problem with this is what would the best way be to secure the upright timbers to these pillars? I have seen some self drilling / tapping screws?
The walls are plasterboard.
The floor is solid so I will use concrete screws to secure the timbers to the floors.
Q The ceiling is plasterboard so I will need some form of plasterboard fixing?

Sponsored Links
OK so I have managed to seek advice from a builder with regards to the positioning of the stud partition wall but I have a couple of questions.

I have found an online Stud Wall Calculator which has helped to calculate the amount of studs (I will add wall and floor plates and 2 x rows of noggins).

Question:
1. What are the correct length of screws when building a stud wall using 4" x 2" C16 Timber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back