Cleanest way to cut regular block (9")

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a wall @ the mo and cutting the odd block here and there is proving a tad dusty with my consaw!!
Is there a cleaner way of doing this...i dont have a bolster but i can pick one up but dont even know how to use one!!...do i still need to indent the block with the consaw then use the bolster??
Sorry for such a basic question...but if u dont ask!!!
Marty. :D

Sponsored Links
Most experienced brikies cut blocks & bricks with nothing more than a sharp whack with the edge of the trowel. I use a lump hammer & bolster chisel which gives a really clean, dust free cut if you indent the block all the way around with a light blows first. Cutting small blocks can be less accurate or they break in half so I’ve used an angle grinder to cut a grove all the way around before the final whack with the bolster; that’s very dusty though.

I assume these are dense concrete blocks?

With a 4" bolster and lump hammer (and plastic hand guard on the chisel in your case!) give it a whack on the top of the block first - not softly but not too hard either.

Then lay the block flat and give it two sharp whacks along the cut line - not lots of little taps. The block should crack. If not, turn it over and do the same.

An easier method is to just lay the block down flat and move it on the pile of blocks so that the cut line is on the edge of a block and part of the block is overhanging the one beneath. Then when you hit it with the chisel, it will crack alone the line and the overhanging bit falls off.

If the blocks are thermalite, then just use a handsaw

Out of curosity will the 'wack and cold chisel' method work on thermalite's?

Or am I better better off using a saw (hack saw?)

Sponsored Links
Thermalites can be cut with a saw, trowel or bolster. If you want a half the quickest way is to hold each end and crack it down the middle on the edge of the block stack.

Here is an interesting variation on the bolster, for cuting blocks and bricks - TCL brick cutter (scroll down)

Similar one currently on offer at Lidls

Thanks for the replies ...

I cut some this evening with a conventional hand saw - went through like butter! (Didnt think they would be so soft)

The True-CutTM brick cutter looks neat ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back