Cutting Engineering Bricks

C

cb9002

I'm trying to cut wirecut (three hole) bricks for my porch gable ends, the roof is at a 25 degree pitch and has an exposed verge to match the house (no bargeboard).

I've been grooving the bricks all the way round with a diamond blade in a 115mm grinder, and then tapping round the groove with a bolster and hammer.

No matter what I do, I seem to end up with a straight break at one of the holes. Any ideas? I guess I may need to hire a 9" grinder and cut all the way through, but I've never used one and they look like fairly scary muthas!

Sponsored Links
may as well hire out a petrol cutter 14 inch diamond tip,cost of about £17 +£2 every half mm you use of the blade,electric grinder to dangerous :)

I use a 9" angle grinder with stone blade.

It takes time but has always worked for me

fastneattrowel

Do you mean a Stihl saw? Sorry but how would that be less dangerous than a 9" grinder? I wouldn't want one of those to kick back on me!

Sponsored Links
As long as you let the blade do the cutting and don't force it, believe me it works.

Oh don't forget your goggles

fastneattrowel is right, get yourself a petrol stihl cutter.
9" electric are much more dangerous if your not used to using them, they can have a nasty kick back if the blade catches, petrol ones have a better clutch on them and are not as fierce, plus are easier to use.

OK thanks both, will get the petrol saw as suggested.

Did you say stihl type saws have clutches? I guess that explains why they're safer. I figured that as they had even more power the kickback would be like a chainsaw.

OK thanks both, will do.

Did you say stihl type saws have clutches? I guess that explains why they're safer. I figured that as they had even more power the kickback would be like a chainsaw.
thats right clutch is good,it stops if jammed much safer and quicker , worth there weight in gold :)

i use a 9" electric almost exclusively. they are fast and fierce but perform better with a more expensive quality diamond blade installed.

the 12" petrol ones are less aggressive but can be large, heavy and unwieldy particularly when cutting above ground like door openings etc.

for a novice a petrol fella will be the safest though.

Ok, here is the solution for the OP using his 115 grinder. :rolleyes:

Cut the brick from both sides as deep as it will go. Now, I thought this would be close to 2" so there should not be much left between the cuts.

Then cut down vertically from the top of the brick so that the two side pieces fall off, and you will be left with a bit of an upstand of the brick in the middle.

Now turn the brick back on its side and cut through this upstand - this will probably have to be at a bit of an angle as the cutter guard or disk retainer may hit the brick. Cut from one side should do it, but cut from both sides if necessary

Voila!

Remember that you only need the front face of the brick, so an alternative is to cut the angle from one side of the brick, then cut the brick down the centre so that it is a 'closer' size - ie 1/4 brick wide. Then when you lay this on the wall, make up the back with rough cuts or compo and trowel it off smooth

Save the hire fee, use the tools you have!

Ok, here is the solution for the OP using his 115 grinder. :rolleyes:

Cut the brick from both sides as deep as it will go. Now, I thought this would be close to 2" so there should not be much left between the cuts.

Then cut down vertically from the top of the brick so that the two side pieces fall off, and you will be left with a bit of an upstand of the brick in the middle.

Now turn the brick back on its side and cut through this upstand - this will probably have to be at a bit of an angle as the cutter guard or disk retainer may hit the brick. Cut from one side should do it, but cut from both sides if necessary

Voila!

Remember that you only need the front face of the brick, so an alternative is to cut the angle from one side of the brick, then cut the brick down the centre so that it is a 'closer' size - ie 1/4 brick wide. Then when you lay this on the wall, make up the back with rough cuts or compo and trowel it off smooth

Save the hire fee, use the tools you have!
what a northerner a do to save a few shillings lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back