Cutting bricks for top edge of gable wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

To finish off the top edge of a gable wall, I need to trim the corners off the bricks at the end of each course.

Seeing as the cut will have to go through the frog, I am assuming that if I use the hammer & bolster I will probably end up scrapping more bricks than I save.

Is there a cutter/splitter available that I could hire that will make the cut I am after, or do I need to face the fact that the only way to do it well will be to use the angle grinder.

24 courses, 4 cut bricks on each course = 96 cuts !

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
If you have barge board and soffit, you only need a rough cut which we cut with trowel. If you can not cut with trowel use lump and bolster.
If you want a fair cut for over sail, band course or tile cloaking onto brickwork, we use a Stihl petrol saw with 300mm dia blade.
You only want rough cut to blockwork 10mm below racking line. If you want to know the easy way to cut up a gable, come back.
oldun ;)

All

To finish off the top edge of a gable wall, I need to trim the corners off the bricks at the end of each course.

Seeing as the cut will have to go through the frog, I am assuming that if I use the hammer & bolster I will probably end up scrapping more bricks than I save.

Is there a cutter/splitter available that I could hire that will make the cut I am after, or do I need to face the fact that the only way to do it well will be to use the angle grinder.

24 courses, 4 cut bricks on each course = 96 cuts !

Cheers
Gary

If the top row is to be hidden under a barge board of some type, it doesnt matter if the top row is a bit messy.
If not, you can get gable sets cut for you. Tell them the angle and number of bricks etc.
Else a 12" stone/brick saw with diamond blade is needed to cut though - hire a petrol saw or large bench saw.
Simon.

This is what I have to replicate .......

View media item 38517
So as you can see, I do need a pretty tidy edge.

Oldun - What is this style called?
I'm not tottaly sure what you mean by "over sail, band course or tile cloaking"

Sponsored Links
That is what we would call two separate course of header over-sail. An over-sail is where the brick above overhangs the brick below. A lot of gables are two course of header over-sail but the top course does not over-sail.
We call the finish to a gable verge either a band course or string course that is any decorative brickwork to top of gable.
A cloaking is the overhang material to bed your verge tiles on.
As said, easy way to cut gables.
oldun

This is what I managed to achieve !

I am pretty pleased with the end result .............. and before anyone points it out, I know that I haven't painted the rear corbell yet !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back