Marking/cutting concrete blocks technique please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just a simple question i hope

Usually to cut blocks i use a chunky pencil to mark and a handheld angle grinder to score each side and a bolster to snap.
Now I have the tarmac medium blocks https://www.wickes.co.uk/Medium-Dense-Block---7-3N-100mm/p/166860
However pencil doesn't show up so it's hard to cut accurately enough. Not to mention i am constantly sharpening it.

So one question is how to mark blocks, and the next is how to cut blocks to length efficiently.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
As Stuart but i use the end of the tape to score, as for cutting lengthways best to use a cut off saw, but can be done with a bolster taking your time and not hitting too hard, and do both sides, i also rest it on a couple of block with the offcut slightly overhanging.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, some great ideas there for me to try. And finally a use for the white crayon,i can steal it from my son!

And as for the cut off saw I'd love one but i don't think i can get away with buying any more tools at the moment!:LOL:

Bolster chisel and score. Chalk or pencil can get blown away by the spinning blade. Crayon is too bulky.

I'm that lazy now, I just measure and eyeball a mark on the block and fix on that and cut. When we do angle cuts we offer the block into place and smudge compo onto the block and use the compo to etch out the cut line.

A mate of mine used to be a chippy at Pinewood studios. He found the old laser cutter that Goldfinger used on James Bond in storage and brought it home. It's brilliant for cutting blocks, perfect cut in seconds.

I have a couple of saws with TCT teeth (a large demolition handsaw and a reciprocating electric)

They cut neatly even through bricks in a built wall, but are slow, and tiring.

I do not have a cutter to hold a disk big enough.

BTW I've seen a marker that looks like a pen, but sprays yellow paint out of the end when you press it. Good for marking rough walls.

A mate of mine used to be a chippy at Pinewood studios. He found the old laser cutter that Goldfinger used on James Bond in storage and brought it home. It's brilliant for cutting blocks, perfect cut in seconds.
The benefits of modern technologies! I bet they would have thought the same about battery powered hammer drills 100 years ago, too far fetched to be believable.

Did you expect him to cut?

LOL that little red lazer light ! there was actually a guy under the table with a gas axe - had a chalk mark to stop @

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back