Cutting concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm blocking up a doorway using ultralite blockwork as travisperkins said they provide a nice rough key for mortar, however on the first layer I cut the block using my angle grinder with a diamond blade which creates quite a smooth surface.

Will mortar still stick to this, or is there a better way to cut them?

Sponsored Links
Mortar sticks to smooth engineering bricks, so it will stick to that.
Are we talking concrete blocks or breeze blocks?
Breeze blocks can be easily cut with a hand saw for clean cuts, otherwise 4 inch chisel and club hammer, as with concrete blocks.
When building an end, use the factory cut on the exposed part, for example window reveal, and the cut against the other block.
Same as bricks, but bigger.

Mortar sticks to smooth engineering bricks, so it will stick to that.
Are we talking concrete blocks or breeze blocks?
Breeze blocks can be easily cut with a hand saw for clean cuts, otherwise 4 inch chisel and club hammer, as with concrete blocks.
When building an end, use the factory cut on the exposed part, for example window reveal, and the cut against the other block.
Same as bricks, but bigger.
They are ultralite, I tried a hand saw but it takes too long and gets very difficult once you hit the middle.

Ultralites are mis-named. They're a good 15Kg each and are a concrete aggregate block not a thermalite. God knows how you have even managed to cut a bit of them with a hand saw! Thermalites cut in about 4-5 cuts in ~10 seconds! You need bolster and hammer or disk cutter.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back