Cleaning boiler heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gravity fed gas boiler hasn't had a clean for many years. I am thinking of cleaning it indirectly. Here's my idea:

1. Drain one of the radiators
2. Put 500ml Fernox F3 in the radiator
3. Run this for the winter
4. Do a complete drain and refill for the whole central heating in the spring and add inhibitor

My goal is to clean the boiler and not the radiators. Will this work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, it won't work. If you put cleaner anywhere in the system, it'll circulate around the whole system when you switch it on.

What makes you think it needs cleaning?

Why do you say it won't work if it gets circulated everywhere including the boiler? I want it to go into the boiler. If it gets into other places too, that's ok.

I have had plenty of kettling in the past. I imagine that would produce scaling. Also, I am in a hard water area.

Sponsored Links
Can be left in system permanently - as per instructions.

Well in your first post you said quite specifically that you wanted to clean the boiler and not your radiators, so my response was based on that...

Ok, my intention was that the boiler was the main target. The rest would be collateral damage. At £6.5 a shot from ebay doesn't seem too terrible, assuming it does anything at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back