Cleaning central heating from combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My central heating has been getting progressivly colder for the past few years. I've taken each radiator off and cleaned a lot of black sludge out of them, which has improved things slightly. I've also cleaned the magnetic filter on the boiler. However I'm concerned that there may also be the same sludge in some of the pipes.

I understand that the next step is to run cleaner through the system for a couple of weeks, before draining it out and replacing with inhibitor, so I've bought a universal cleaner at Toolstation

However it states that it's "for use in indirect systems only". I'm not sure how I can check if mine is direct or indirect. While googling, it seems easy to get confused between direct/indirect heating and hot water. I don't want to run anything through which could damage the system or make things worse.

Can anyone tell me how I'd know if my heating is direct or indirect? It's a Glowworm Betacom2 24 combi boiler.

Many thanks

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thank you Razor900.

I put the cleaner in on Monday night and have been running the system ever since, but with no noticeable difference in temperature. I think it's reaching the stage where I need to admit defeat and call someone in, but just wanted to see if anyone here had any other suggestions of things I could try?

So far I've:
  • Taken each radiator into the garden and flushed through, shaking and rotating until the water runs clear
  • Ran water from the filling loop to each outflow valve until it runs out clear
  • Put cleaner into the system and ran for 5 days
  • Completely drained the system and refilled
  • Attempted to balance the system as best I can
At best, I can get 2 or 3 rads hot at the same time, but only the ones closest to the boiler. When trying to balance, I've found that if I turn the first 3 lockshields right down, I can get it so that the first 4 are lukewarm, but I can never get it any further, and it always results in the hot ones going cold. When attempting to balance, most guides suggest that there should be around 12 degrees difference in temperature between the inlet and outlet pipes, but in my case, the outlets are always cold. The bottom corner of the rads nearest the outflows also never heat up.

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the pump? However this being a combi boiler, I'm not sure if that's something I'm able to check. Failing that, it could be a blocked pipe?

Anyway like I say, I think it's about time I got in a pro, but if anyone here can think of anything obvious that I'm missing, any advice would be much appreciated!

Not sure if the betacom has an in-line filter in the return or not. Are the valves fully open on the boiler?
Pump could be lethargic.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thanks Jeff, I'm not sure if that's something I can check without opening the boiler? Not very confident at doing that. I'm in a soft-water area if that's any help?

I should have mentioned that there is a magnaclean filter on the boiler which I have also cleaned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back