Cleaning external brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terraced house that requires repointing but before that takes place I am considering cleaning up the brick faces. It a terraced house built circa 1880.

Whats the best way to do this? Water jetting? Sand blasting? Appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
If its built around 1880, check to see what mortar was originally used. Chances are it was lime mortar - get it repointed with lime mortar if thats the case, it will help reduce damp and frost damage, and look nicer. It shouldn't cost any more than cement mortar.

As for cleaning the bricks, that depends what type of bricks they are. If they're smooth, I wouldn't recommend sand blasting.

My view, for what it's worth, why "clean" the bricks. They have mellowed since 1880, (and incidentally does it REALLY need repointing?) and you want to attack them? If you wanted garish bricks, why did you not buy a new house? It will NOT add value if you clean them. Many VERY attractive properties have original un-changed brickwork, and they are high value because of the trimming round the windows, doors etc. Cleaning the bricks is similar to a "blow-over" job on a car. "What are they trying to hide?"

Thanks for the replies Tom. and oilman.

On the brick cleaning I'm not actually that fussed about doing it, it just seem to be an opportunity before repointing starts.

Unfortunately some patch repointing has been done in the past with cement pointing on the lime based ( I think) pointing. The patched repointing looks dreadful and some is falling out on its own. This will need to be removed.

Perhaps it will be possible to repair these areas with new lime based repointing? I was concerned that repaired these areas would look new and obvious, and therefore best to do it all.

Does anyone have a guideline cost, say, per square metre for repointing?

Sponsored Links
If some ***** builder quotes you massively higher for lime repointing, get someone else in :)

I don't know the cost of the job, but to get the cement out isn't that difficult, if you have some ladders, a drill, and hammer and chisel you could do it yourself.

http://www.womersleys.co.uk/ have readymixed lime products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back