Cleaning flexible extractor fan ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just replaced the centrifugal fan on our downstairs loo. It has a long run of flexible spiral ducting - probably 4-6M. The Fan was filthy, and the vent at the other end pretty clogged up.

I can reach in an arms length from the outside, and cleaning the fluff by hand is strangley satifying, but I was wondering want would be the best way/tool to do the job properly over the whole length ?

I'm concerned that if I damage it I won't know and it might just vent into the floor boards for years to come...

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it would work, but try and dry the fluff (if it's all wet) with a hairdryer and then try and hoover it up with the hose attachment?

It will need replacing if it's bad. If not then leave it, but sort out the reasons why so much crap is getting in there in the first place.

Sponsored Links
If you can thread a string through ?
Maybe with a bendy rod, fit a large "Pom Pom" to the string and pull it through?

This is one of those jobs that will be so much easier once we have nanobots.
In the meantime, I’d ignore it.

usuly if a new fan is instaled thenyou change the ducting esp if its a plasticised flex ducting.
best to ue hard wall ductin but flex alu duct will work.
you can feed alu flex in from the fan ext. end piggy backed on to the old ducting. you could feed hard wall in from outside but its more difficult.
or if the flooring upstairs is accessible then lift it an use hard wall in the joist bay.

people who do pro duct cleaning use vacuums esp on trcky runs of dryer ducting.
check out the newish ducting terminals - much better than older ones

Get a feather duster, pull the feathers back and cable tie them so they stick out - attach it to a longer pole.
Jiggle.

Stick one of these in, with a rope and person pulling either end you can work it back and forth.

Compressed air.

Kitten on katnip.

Puppy and toilet roll.

Don't replace it, its just dirty - this is not a reason to waste more resources and fill a hole in the ground - just clean it best you can.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
fair enough about saving resources, i agree with you but thers more to it than just that.

if the ductin is already punctured by previous wear use or by poking stuff down it for cleaning it then thers a health risk (asthma), esp for children from floatin particles,and a fire risk from dry fluuff in a joist bay - an elec junction box spark could set it off.

new duct terminals an smooth walled ductin saves energy. sometimes so can a new ext fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back