Cleaning Hammerite off brushes?.

Sponsored Links
The solvent for this stuff is Xylene, Keith - the constituent of genuine and hideously expensive Hammerite thinners.
Nowt else seems to shift it, and indeed the brush will still solidify after a week or so. Remove whatever you can with kitchen towel, dunk it in the thinners and they'll last long enough.
John :)
Does anybody else remember when Hammerite first came out and the solvent was trichlorethylene? Better product IMO. Dried quicker and you could clean brushes with trike even after the stuff had gone hard, if memory serves.

Sponsored Links
carcinogenic and can lead to fertility problems IIRC.
Don't know about fertility, but best to avoid too much contact. Xylene isn't very pleasant stuff either.

Is trike still used for dry cleaning, do you know? I haven't had anything dry cleaned for a while but I remember years ago you could smell the trike when you got stuff back. Engine repair workshops used to have open tanks of trike, engine lowered in for de-greasing. I doubt if that happens nowadays.

Don't know about fertility, but best to avoid too much contact. Xylene isn't very pleasant stuff either.

Is trike still used for dry cleaning, do you know? I haven't had anything dry cleaned for a while but I remember years ago you could smell the trike when you got stuff back. Engine repair workshops used to have open tanks of trike, engine lowered in for de-greasing. I doubt if that happens nowadays.

I'm afraid I don't know, but I would be surprised if carbon tet is still used in dry cleaning.

Rule of thumb, consider all non aqueous solvents as potentially / probably poisonous.

Back