1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning London stock bricks - nothing seems to work!

Discussion in 'Building' started by s60alex, 2 Sep 2012.

1. s60alex

s60alex

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

We are currently redecorating and are trying to give the side of the house a bit of a clean up.

Brick acid has lightened the mortar a bit, but has made no difference to the bricks. After research, I also tried bleach (no change) and foaming oven cleaner (no change).

I've attached a photo of the bricks - does anyone have experience of a better way to clean these?

Alex

2. HERTSDRAINAGE2010

HERTSDRAINAGE2010

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you tried a jet wash?

Andy

3. s60alex

s60alex

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I am worried about pressure washing in case I damage the face of the brick - but did try a test on one brick - absolutely no difference, even at close range!

Other houses in the terrace have been cleaned, so I know there must be something out there!

Thanks for the reply...

Alex

4. HERTSDRAINAGE2010

HERTSDRAINAGE2010

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't you ask your neighbours? Normally they are pressured washered.

Andy

5. cotswoldbuilders

cotswoldbuilders

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I dont know if it would work on your brick but, the masons clean the discoloured stone via a pipe fitted at the top of the wall with loads of small holes in ( similar to irrigation pipe ) this is connected to a hose pipe, they leave it trickling down the stone front all day and scrub with a stiff brush.

Some of them use lengths of copper pipe with holes drilled in, and attatch to the gutter.

You could try a small area first.

6. EB1caneyeB

EB1caneyeB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like you're trying to wash off 100 years of pollution there. Thing is this is absorbed into a 'stock' brick. To clean them up, with anything too dramatic or abrasive, is to actually erode the face of the brick.

I would advise you to seal the brickwork (thomson) after you have done this. If indeed you find a way to clean it up.

I worked on some older houses in New Cross. Grand looking houses built out of old stocks. My memory is vague (i was a young apprentice then). We were converting them so that the outside toilet (yeah...pffff) was incorperated into the house. The face brickwork was sand blasted i think. This took the face off and left the stock bricks looking like sponges.
    I don't know if they still do this though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Bodgeitandleggit

Bodgeitandleggit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just a thought...what about the chemicals that the graffiti removers use...I seen a ad a couple of years ago saying they will remove all types of stuff.....maybe worth giving a company a call ....I could be barking up the wrong tree here but its just a thought

8. Symptoms

Symptoms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    alex - it has to be wet blasted ... this is a low pressure method that'll not damage the brick face. Google for your local guys.

9. peterperfection

peterperfection

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would suggest you use Sodium Hyperchlorite..You can get it from 'farmers supplies places. IT is used for cleaning and disinfecting :ie- milk parlours etc.
    Costs about £20 for 5 Gallons.

It is the best patio cleaner available--much better than power washing .
    Just wet the area you want to clean - pour on the SH and brush in- (not much effort required) go have a brew for 10/15 mins- and then hose it off.
    You can dilute it half and half--and it will do the job you want.
    Will remove layers of built up grime in 20 minutes.

Try it.

ps- only thing it really wont touch is carbon/soot.