Newbie question on Mortar colour and London stock bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a pizza oven in the back garden and would like it to match the house. I've order the yellow london stock bricks but was wondering about the Mortar colour which I'd like it the yellow sandy colour that's often see with these bricks. I was going to order some Wickes BrickLaying Mortar (http://www.wickes.co.uk/ready-mixed-brick-laying-moartar-25kg/invt/154139/) but are not sure what colour it would be. Any ideas? I'm aware you can get dye but that seems quite an expensive way to go on, any better ways? Or is there a certain sand/cement combo I can use to get the desired colour.

Any help much appreciated - never thought about this before starting the project!

George

Sponsored Links
Getting the right colour sand is the first step. Mortar changes colour over time. One reason is that when the joints are first tooled up, the metal jointer brings cement to the surface, partly hiding the aggregate.
As the cement surface wears away the aggregate becomes exposed, showing a more sandy colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back