Can I use this "sand" for mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

About a week ago I asked how to obtain a "sandy" coloured mortar.

I was told that to try plasters sand.

Today I found a builders merchants (Stamco - East Sussex) that
stocks this sand.

It turned out not to be much lighter than the sand I got from Wickes.

However, I was shown Kiln Dried Sand.

This kiln dried sand matches the dried mortar colour I'm looking for.

This kiln dried is just like beach sand.

In fact I live right next to a sandy beach, I'm wondering if the builders
who built this property over 30 years ago, used the sand from the beach.

I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS

1) Will this 'kiln dried sand' be okay for strength?

I have got to brick up a door that I've removed.

2) If not would it still be okay to use it, if I mix it with Wickes builders sand?

If so, any ratio to recommend?

I laid the first two courses the other day before the weather changed.
I used 1 part cement + 4 parts sand - that has still dried regular grey.

When I knocked out the bricks for toothing - the mortar was strong at first
and then it did seem to crumble to dusty sand.

Any thoughts would be welcome as the grey mortar is going to stick out like
my sore thumb after I smashed it with the hammer.

Thanks, Stephen

Sponsored Links
You need "building sand" for pointing

Any other type - plastering, kiln dried, silver, sharp etc will just end up on the floor as you try and use it, and any you get into the wall will dry much too hard and crack

Beach sand has salt in it which is not good for buildings

The type, and colour of building sand in your locality depends on the merchant and where he gets his supplies from. Big sheds may get it from miles away, while a small merchant may get it from the local pit.

The sand used 30 years ago will not be the same as the sand you can buy today

The colour won't match when it's new, as it will take time to mature. When the joints are rubbed in with a metal jointer or trowel it brings cement to the surface. Over the years the joints wear back exposing the aggregate and the colour changes slighty to a more sandy look.
You could try a small amout of cementone in the mix.
Have you got a photo of the brickwork?

sands do vary, i have one source that is dark orange, but mostly where i am it's a nice yellow orange - did you discuss cement previously? if you use a fly ash cement like rugby then it will be grey whatever you do, mastercrete from blue circle at a ratio or 1 to 5 should give a lighter colour than 1 to 4.

also sand you buy from a shed as professional builders sand is usually quite sharp (if you lay bricks or point, the water drains straight out - it's crap to work with and professional builders would not lay bricks with it anyway) so go to your local independant merchants to get your sand, or a proper national chain merchant like build centre or travis (stand and deliver) perkins.

and remember to ask for soft sand, that way there is no confusion.

Sponsored Links
if you want a sandy coloured mortar then use mainly white cement blending in a bit of grey until it is the shade you want

I don't know what Wickes put in their Building Sand. As an experiment, I washed some of their sand and the colour came out. The resulting mortar is very grey.

I don't know what Wickes put in their Building Sand. As an experiment, I washed some of their sand and the colour came out. The resulting mortar is very grey.
Washing removes the silt and clay, but is not so easy to use for brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back