sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had ton of sand and ton of aggretage which I am going to use for base for my patio. After it dries I will bed the slabs in mortar.

The patio will require quite long steps down from the house and I intend to use bricks as support for the steps. The bricks will be laid on an appropriate concreted foundation.

My question is can I use this sand as a mix for my mortar for the brickwork as I have just read that you require builders sand for this job. As this mortar will only be required for 2 courses of bricks is it essential that I use the corret sand.

Look forward to a reply

Sponsored Links
norlandd said:
just had ton of sand and ton of aggretage which I am going to use for base for my patio. After it dries I will bed the slabs in mortar.

The patio will require quite long steps down from the house and I intend to use bricks as support for the steps. The bricks will be laid on an appropriate concreted foundation.

My question is can I use this sand as a mix for my mortar for the brickwork as I have just read that you require builders sand for this job. As this mortar will only be required for 2 courses of bricks is it essential that I use the corret sand.

Look forward to a reply

What sand do you have? If it is sharp or grit sand then you need to buy some builders sand (just buy small bags if all you have to do is a few steps.

The aggregate you refer to - is that actually a sand/ballast mix? If so you
dont need more sand with it.

Hi

I assume the sand is for making concrete. The aggregate is separate.

As you state I will need building sand to do the brickwork even though there are only two courses of bricks. Although I will have a couple of hundred bricks to lay 3/4 small bags of sand will hopefully do the trick.

I wonder if you can answer another question for me. Have bought a Belle cement mixer. (lifetime ambition) The instrustion book is not too clear. What is the stand clip for? Is it to be closed permanently or unhooked whilst attempting to slide the stand into the base. (without unhooking the clip I cant get a proper angle to engage the stand.

Probably a daft question but I am perplexed

Thanks for your help

its to secure the the rotating bar between the wheels, so that when you lay it down, slot in the base and then stand it up it stays rigid as you do so.

think you may need a few more bags to do the couple of hundred bricks with!

Sponsored Links
cheers for that

you are probably right about the sand quantity. I'll play it by ear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back