Are these just London yellow Stock bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We will be building a first floor rear extension to our Edwardian semi detatched property. Are these your usual London yellow stocks, some of them look reddish in colour? Had paint removed from them recently. Any ideas on what they are? As might try and get similar

IMG_4991.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes. You should be able to get them from a demolition reclamation yard. They will usually have one weathered side.

the blow holes may be where fragments of chalk or limestone were mixed into the clay. During firing it turns to quicklime.

When built into a wall it expands and bursts out when exposed to rain.

the brick colour can be patchy, I think from fumes during firing. sometimes the colour is only on one side. Unlike Flettons the clay does not contain traces of shale oil, which helps the bricks to fire themselves once well-heated. Randomise the mix and it will not be conspicuous. If you want, you can paint the bricks black, as has been done at 10 Downing Street.

LarryStands.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes. You should be able to get them from a demolition reclamation yard. They will usually have one weathered side.

the blow holes may be where fragments of chalk or limestone were mixed into the clay. During firing it turns to quicklime.

When built into a wall it expands and bursts out when exposed to rain.

View attachment 218449
Could be where they hacked off the paint or render.

possibly, but I think not. looks more like sandblast to me.

The textured paint was thick and removed with abrasive discs, raked out and will be pointed with lime mortar

The other option is to use this brick which we have used on the ground floor. Looks well now compared with the existing first floor. But dont know if it will look a bit odd to use it directly next to the first floor if you know what I mean.....

IMG_5087.JPG

a modern brick will be a different size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back