Cleaning mud off new foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently dug out my footings and have now had the concrete poured. The concrete doesn't come up to the top, and has set nicely. We've had a huge amount of rain in the days since it was poured which caused them to turn into canals, and some of the mud sides have caved in.

I've pumped out the water but I'm left with a muddy silt all over the bottom. You can't really see concrete at all now just a muddy film.

The forecast is dry and I've got brickies starting at the end of the week. What's the best way to get this muddy film off? Wire brush? Any tips?

Cheers
Jon

Sponsored Links
Pressure washer would be ideal if you could do it such that the water wont make it worse.

Put a bucket of water back in and sweep it with a bass broom. Use a shovel to scoop the water and mud out

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Jet wash I do have, but would probably create just the same issue once things have settled down.

I'll have a try of the broom and shovel idea, thanks.

And dig a 'sump' next to the footings to sweep the mud and silt into.

And dig a 'sump' next to the footings to sweep the mud and silt into.

I do have small holes that I've dug out that I put the pump into for pumping out. I might end up having to make them a bit bigger for the purpose you describe. They're still full of water mind you. Its solid clay here...nothing at all soaks away.

I appreciate your position. We sit on clay too, and in heavy rain there are puddles all over the garden and the lawn is waterlogged. Not much we can do, I'm afraid.
Perhaps there are some advantages of having a clay soil.

So an update. I spent several hours tonight digging two reasonable sized holes next to the foundations, and then had great fun pouring buckets of water onto the concrete and sweeping muddy water into the holes. End result is I no longer have a layer of mud/silt, but I still have brown concrete! I'll go over it again tomorrow with a stiff brush once its dried out, and that will have to do!

It does not have to be spotless. Just get the lumps off, the wall is not going anywhere once it's built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back