Cleaning old cement off a mixer drum

Sponsored Links
I think that's something I could be better at. I'll often empty the muck int'barrow then assume I'll be doing another mix in an hour so dont need to clean the drum just yet. An hour can easily turn in to two then the cured muck can build up in the drum by the end of the day.

by letting the mixer drone on for 25 mins.

With just water in it, or broken bricks?
I’ve done that and felt bad that the noise of bricks in a mixer has been ruining the neighbours BBQs many a Saturday, as I’m desperately trying to joint up the single row of bricks it’s taken me half an hour to lay... love it

Sponsored Links
Guess that also relies on you tipping the whole mix out straight away. I’ve tended to empty it into 3 tubs over the course of about 1.5 hours.

I used to be able to clean the entire drum with a bucket of water.
I would pour about 3/4s of the water into the drum with lofted arms so that the front edge of the drum, took the brunt of the falling water, until it was clear, I'd then swing the last two sloshes of water into the blades as they passed. I'd then let it spin for a few minutes whilst I dealt with the barrow of muck.

Guess that also relies on you tipping the whole mix out straight away
Correct. In the warmer months we tend to leave it in the drum too, so that we can add water when it inevitably stiffens up.

So you then need to resort to the broken bricks, right? As water alone surely won’t cut it if it’s been in there a while. Or get the hose on it?

I once worked for a firm that had to use gennies on a job as the customer told them before they started that they didn't think their power should be used.
I have heard it's happened a few times in this area. Never had it happen to me personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back