Using a cement mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone got some tips on using a electric cement mixer,do you put sand first then the cemant what about adding the water,also what about cleaning the drum thanks.

Sponsored Links
You put the sand and aggregates in first let them blend and mix for while, then add you cement, again leaving to blend and mix in with the aggregates for a minute or two.
Then add your water a bit at a time until the consistency is correct.
Remember never to overload the mixer or it will spill out leaving a mess, wasting materials and won't mix to the correct ratio.
Also stand the mixer on level groud putting down some form of protection below the mixer in case of spillage. Some hardboard will do the trick.

When cleaning it, empty the barrel as much as you can, then you put a couple of shovels of gravel(some use broken bricks) in the barrel adding about 3 gallons of water and leave it mixing for about 10-15 minutes, then empty it and give it a swill with water to remove any residue.

In dry conditions I was taught to add a little water before the cement to save a lot of it blowing out as dust.

Your first load, you measure the water carefully to the right mix; in subsequent loads that day you add (almost) the same amouint of water again, then if need be carefully trickle in a little more to the perfect consistency.

The amount of water will vary from day to day depending how damp the sand is

Just two words of advise as a DIY fan you wont use a cement mixer every day so when finished give the machine a good clean as advised then let it dry and spray w d 40 around this will keep rust at bay,also when mixing use, a builders bucket for measuring,the consistency will be constant.

Sponsored Links
I always go for water first. also rermember to put some plasticiser in there if your making mortar

Water first - unless you want it to look like a pile riddled rectum viewed through a speculum :eek: :mad: :LOL:

I agree unless your mixer is new or completely spotless it really has to be water first.

Water first - unless you want it to look like a pile riddled rectum viewed through a speculum :eek: :mad: :LOL:
I've never looked at one of them Nige. Have you looked at many?

I am sure if you ask him nicely JohnD, he will let you view his. He has nothing better else to do at the moment except fall out with British Gas Engineers. ;) :LOL:

Back to question. If electric mixer fit RCD.
Throw ¾ bucket water in drum. Fire 6 good builders shovels ballast in, check water and ballast spinning round consistency of thin cream. Fire two good shovels cement in, let drum spin round 3 or 4 times, check for consistency of double cream. If to thick add more water. Fire 6 more shovels ballast in. Put your barrow under the mixer Let it spin round half dozen times adding water as required until you get consistency of medium thick rice pudding. The gauge should be about 75mm down from the rim of drum.
Put your barrow under mixer, will catch any of the gauge that spills out in case you put to much water in. Tip gauge out and will give good full builders barrow..
Tip of the day, I find it a lot easier to watch someone else doing this.
oldun ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back