Using a cement mixer

thats how i was taught to do it by my father. He would do it on a pavement, if no where else avaliable, mix it up, put it into buckets, wash the pavement down, and youd never tell he had been there. A definite art to folding the walls in without the water escaping out one side!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

How do you know the amount of water needed.
Is it a case of put enough in to mix the materials initially and then add more to get the consistancy you want.

In which case what am I looking for, like a custard texture or thicker?
What effect does this have if it is not right, does it mean it just takes longer to set or will it mean the concrete will be weak.

Sorry for all the questions, never mixed concrete before.

Yeah mix your additives in a bucket with hose pressure. Add this liquid to mixer....then half the sand ....all the cement ......and rest of sand. Always remember...you can put more water in but you can`t take it out :LOL:

The practice of mixing sand and cement together and then adding water goes back to the days of "hand mix" on two 8x4 spotboards. We dry mixed the sand/cement twice, then spread it out in a ring to put the hole in the middle for the water then pulled the "walls" of dry mix into the puddle etc etc.

This method was used for smaller jobs off site until electric mixers became generally available. The mortar was never quite as good though.

I`m sure more than me remember all this.......hopefully! :LOL:

Alex

i would still do it for a small amount of gear, easier than getting the mixer out and cleaning it after. :D

Sponsored Links
fastneattrowel said:
il never take a tip from you again
I don't recall ever asking you to take a tip from me. Nevertheless, you're one of the few who appear not to have realised that I was poking fun at those people who were giving imperative and uninformative answers.

I don't recall ever asking you to take a tip from me. Nevertheless, you're one of the few who appear not to have realised that I was poking fun at those people who were giving imperative and uninformative answers.

Yeah damn those people imperative and uniformative, factually correct answers. What this forum really needs is more people like you, with your simple sword of stupidity and trusty shield of tosh, to fight against (true)hoods and those who peddle it.

Onwards to 20,000 posts I say! :LOL:

Edit: Squeezed in some alliteration:cool:

fastneattrowel said:
il never take a tip from you again
rumour has it softus your finished as a building adviser in here after so many wrong answers, john wayne has nothing on you,yeee haaaaa

The audacity of the new guy to question the venerable sage :eek:

Could be fun though, so I think I'll hang around in the corner of this thread with some popcorn.

Could be a classic good v evil contest, and I'll probaly root for the young Skywalker

e045.gif

Could be fun though, so I think I'll hang around in the corner of this thread with some popcorn.

Could be a classic good v evil contest, and I'll probaly root for the young Skywalker

e045.gif

which one is good and which one is evil?

e045.gif
only repeating what i have been told by some other guys in here who they said he has given them wrong advice ,Not every one cant be perfect in all trades . stick to what your good at softus being a cowboy lol i have just had 15 personal messages agreeing with me :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back