Cleaning old grout and adhesive from tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me and suggest the best way to clean up tiles which have adhesive and grout on the face of them. I read that brick cleaning acid is a good method - Ive tried acetone without any joy so Im hoping someone has a good suggestion please?!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230601_213841.jpg
    20230601_213841.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230601_213847.jpg
    20230601_213847.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Floor tiles or wall?

Is it a waterproof type?

Put one in a bucket of water for a couple of days to find out.

Tile shops sell a scotch pad like pad. It's like a nylon scratching pad that takes off grout. DIY also sell but they aren't very good.
Then any dust left on wipe over with white spirit on a rag...
Lumps of grout need to be carefully scraped off

Thanks guys I was hesitant to post the question as I knew someone would ask the tile material type.
I think they are porcelain but will check if possible. Does the material type make a difference when it comes to removing the adhesive and grout spills?

Sponsored Links
Tile shops sell a scotch pad like pad. It's like a nylon scratching pad that takes off grout. DIY also sell but they aren't very good.
Then any dust left on wipe over with white spirit on a rag...
Lumps of grout need to be carefully scraped off
I think I have these are they different colours (black white and red for example) and do I use a solution of some sort or just hot water? Thanks

Use dry.

Smack or vacuum out dust.

DIY store ones can be small and less aggressive

It's the grout and adhesive I meant.

If it is not waterproof it will soften when soaked and clean off easily.

Is it a wall or a floor?

That picture is floor tiles but Ive got messy wall ones also.

I was rushing the job (keen diy'er) and haven't done the cleanest of jobs.

If you did it yourself, look at the packaging to see if it is waterproof,

I did this some years ago. Leave them to soak in a bucket covered with water with some washing up liquid in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back