Cleaning out blocked drain or soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some sort of drain in the driveway. Whenever it rains, there's a huge puddle.

I decided to tackle it today. The drain was completely full of silt/mud which I cleaned out by hand. The bottom feels solid and I couldn't completely clear out the half inch of crap at the bottom.

IMG_1464.JPG

At one side there's a channel so presumably water drains into here. How do I clear this bit out?

IMG_1465.JPG

Also, attached to the drain grille was a spanner. Any idea what this was for? Or is it to just act as a weight?

IMG_1466.JPG

Also any ideas whether it's just a soakway or a proper drain?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Plastic grill so spanner is probably to stop it floating away, so problem must have been there years, if you suspect leaf litter is blocking then a bottle of one shot [very strong acid] should shift it.

Nope. I've chucked some water down the drain after washing the car and there's still a huge puddle 3 hrs later.

Sponsored Links
At this stage its necessary to bale the trap out - hence the comment regarding the wet vac.
Obviously we don't know how severe the blockage is, but if the gully is empty then you should be able to feel around the bend to some degree.....hopefully the gunge in there won't be too heavy.
Does that gully connect to an inspection chamber somewhere, do you know?
John :)

@Burnerman there's two drains in the back garden and one in the alley way. There's an inspection drain on the diagonal opposite side of the driveway.

Here's a sketch from my phone. The "soakaway" seems to drain forward towards the road and away from the house:

IMG_1467.jpg

Is there a possibility of a pipe heading from the inspection chamber heading towards the soak away? (I assume the soak away is the gully with the problem?)
If there is a pipe, expect it to be dry.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back