Cleaning out of old cess pit - how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we moved into an old farm house about a year ago, and currently have a Klargester installed, which feeds its outlet pipe into an old cesspit.

The cesspit isn't in the cleanest of states, and houses 2 garden pumps to remove the water output.

I'm wondering if its possible to get the cesspit cleaned out, and raising the pumps, so that some water can be stored in there, in effect being like a rainwater harvesting system, so that we can use the water for watering the garden during the long hot summers we have here in the UK?

If so, what is the recommended course of action to get the pit cleaned out effectively - we have dogs, and are planning kids, so would hope that the solution would clean the pit enough to not cause any problems with either of these.

Thanks for any advice

Tony

Sponsored Links
are you sure it is a cesspit and not a septic tank?

what is the construction?

Hi

Not sure what it is...

We access it via metal manhole cover, and from what I can tell, it's built of bricks

Thx
Tony

But does the water in it naturally run away or does it have to be emptied?

I would expect it to run away to a dispersal pipe system.

Is this Klargester a treatment device with cleanish effluent and what do they say about using it was irregation?

What are the two pumps for?

Are they working? When and what do they work for?

Maybe they pump the effluient to a higher level dispersal system/

We need more information!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the setup is that the waste water from the house goes to the Klargester, this then does its work, and the clean water that is output, is passed to the cesspit. This happens via a big 4" pipe (roughly). The 2 pumps then move the water out to a drainage ditch at the back of our house.

I think the previous occupant did it this way, as they didn't want the hassle of laying a long large pipe down the side of our next door neighbours garden, instead we have a largish hosepipe that is attached to one of the pumps. The other pump pumps water to a ditch at the front of the house, in case there are problems and there is too much water - ie, one is a failsafe.

I would say that the water that is being pumped should be clean, but altering the heights of the pumps last weekend, to rotate which pump is currently being used, shows that the water in the cesspit is not clean.

Any more questions, let me know. I will try and answer, but its difficult when its something that someone else has set up.

Thanks
Tony

I would hazard a guess the brick chmaber is the original cesspit/septic tank for the property. The Klargester has been fitted 'in between' the house and tank to provide treatment for the sewage, and allow discharge of the final effluent, rather that getting the cesspit emptied on a frequent basis.

Cleaning. Get it emptied with a tanker, hose down to remove excess sludge. I'd be wary of getting it too clean though, the humus in the secondary tank helps additional breakdown of the final effluent prior to discharge.

If you've kids about, the quality of the water would be the least of my worries. Those things can be quite deep, an adult would have an immense struggle to get out should they fall in, a child would have no chance.... The gases in the tank can corrode the covers quite quickly too, standing on it is not a test of the cover's strength i'd recommend :!: Now might be the time to abandon the thing altogther, fill it in and install a packaged pump station in its place.

I would check with the Environment Agency regarding watering the garden. They are quite particular about discharge from septic tanks, and all discharges from septic tanks need to be registered with them (if not already) by the end of this year!

Hi Hugh,

thanks for the reply.

I've been told, by our nextdoor neighbour, who has the same system, that the liquid that leaves our Klargester is supposed to be drinkable... not that he would recommend it, but its supposedly that clean.

I think I'll have a word with the maintenance guy that comes in about a weeks time to see what they suggest - if we are unable to use the old cesspit for storage of water to be used, then I'd prefer if we could get it put out of action. I'll see what they suggest.

Fortunately we don't have any kids ourselves, just yet - but they are planned, however when I've checked each time, the lid on the old pit seems to be still structurally sound - for now...

Also fortunately, our system is already registered with the EA

Thanks
Tony

I dont see any reason not to use it for irrigation of the garden.

If its clean enough to discharge to a ditch then it should be OK to use in the garden.

I used to manage one at my mother's house in Cornwall. But that was on sand and the 30m of dispersal tubes I fitted probably lost all the effluent in the first 5m.

Tony

Have you got the treatment or bog standard Klargester.

Septic Tanks may be installed (subject to consent) in applications where:

Soil is of suitable porosity.
Installation complies with Building Regulations (Approved Document H).
The installation will not contaminate any ditch, stream or other watercourse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back