Cleaning plate heat exchangers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestion for cleaning plate heat exchangers.
By that i mean removing the magnetite "crust" that can build up and affect the heat transfer.

I usually stick on a new one but would like to have a go at cleaning them instead.

Sponsored Links
I recently tried cleaning one by immersing it in a saucepan of water, adding a dollop of chemical cleanser and then simmering for 24 hours, occasionally lifting out and then replacing the h/e to change the water/chemical within.

Did it work? Well I haven't actually tried the h/e out, but it certainly removed a lot (but not all) of the gunge. But it also removed most of the very thin nickel (?) plating to expose the copper plates, which might make them more vulnerable to coating with gunge in the future.

I thought maybe there was a quicker/easier way.

My missus would be withdrawing bedroom privileges if i started simmering boiler parts in the kitchen. :LOL:

Email me, not really suitable for diy.

ChrisH , they're stainless steel!! I think you had a chemical cell and were busily plating the steel with copper.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
they're stainless steel
That's what I thought. This h/e was off a Chaffoteaux Britony 80SE so it might have been some cheapo construction! I'll have another look at it if i can remember where I left it, but it can't be that I plated it with copper - where could the copper have come from?

Later....just checked again. This one's definitely made from copper! Anyone else come across this?

Live an learn - never seen a copper one! The fittings are usually copper base so I thought...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back