cleaning/sanding wood cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving into a home that has wood cladding, looks untreated. It's in need of cleaning and sanding. I have a dual action polisher I use to polish the car. Thinking to get some sanding discs to clean it up.

what grit is best ? Then what is the suggestion with the bare wood to protect and make cleaning easy.

Sponsored Links
if it is outdoor cladding, exposed to the weather, it will probably not have a very smooth finish, and there will be a lot of it. Trying to sand timber that is not flat is no good.

Mine was previously treated with Shed and Fence stain, and I blasted it off with a Jet Washer. The jet washer also takes off any eroded or weathered grey patches off the surface ready for treating. The nozzle, if close, works very fast.

I have now used linseed oil, which lasts well, and new coats can be applied over the top. There are also decking oils which should be similar. A dark colour has the advantage of hiding any patchiness or black stain in the timber. I actually used clear untinted boiled oil, but I treated the surface with Cuprinol preserver, and Colron dye, before oiling. The first few coats of linseed are thinned with white spirit to soak in, and you can mix Colron with the white spirit. All topcoats of oil are clear.

its interior wood cladding in hallway and up the stairs. So jet wash out of the question. I've sanded a patch by hand and it comes up nice and clean but loads lighter, not really sure if it's been treated with anything previously or if it's just grime from over the years.

is linseed the way to go? So it goes on clear, unless I mix dye into it?

the wood is smooth and flat, what grit discs should be ok 180?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
no need for linseed if it is indoors, I thought you needed weather protection.

Indoors, I would suggest satin varnish.

If you want to colour it, use Colron after sanding and cleaning, it is preferable to tinted stains and varnishes as you get a more even colour that does not show scratches and touch-ups so much.

Indoors it is probably a flatter surface. Dust will be a big problem if you sand it. See how far a cork block, and fine paper, will take you by hand, or look at an orbital. You probably won't need a belt.

Any rotating abrasive will leave terrible score marks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back