Cleaning the CH system after fitting a new towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a radiator in the bathroom in the next few weeks with a towel radiator and the manufacturers instructions state that a full system clean is mandatory in order not to void the guarantee.

I understand this will be to flush any flux or other debris introduced to the system.

I have a central heating cleaner solution which I am going to use for the job and the instructions advise this be left to circulate for anywhere up to 3 weeks.

I would like to let this circulate for a week or two in order to let the cleaner get to work (the system is a combi system in a ground floor flat with 5 radiators in total, around 18 years old). The central heating has always worked fine and I don't believe I have any sludge problems to worry about.

My question is, is it ok for me to leave the cleaner circulating for a week or two and then drain (and refill and drain several times)?

I am a little concerned that perhaps I need to flush it after only a day or so to avoid any damage that may be caused by debris introduced when fitting the new radiator.

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting a brass towel RAIL then you dont need to bother with any water treatment.

If its steel then you can leave a good quality cleanser in for the recommended time. My Sentinel X300 cleanser says 2-3 hours !

After cleaning you must change the water a couple of times and add a suitable inhibitor. I use Sentinel X100.

Tony

Is the debris assumed to come from the new radiator/towel rail ? If that's the case, can't it be cleaned/flushed before adding to the existing central heating circuit, avoiding having to flush the whole lot ?

e.g. if I want to replace a radiator with a new one of the same size, could I do the following:-

0. buy radiator/towel rail.
1. flush with a hose, add some water+X300 and bung up the radiator for a couple of weeks, then flush again.
2. close valves on existing radiator, remove old one after draining into a bowl.
3. move brackets on wall, attach connectors to radiator
4. hang radiator on wall, join existing valve to radiator
5. add a bit of inhibitor to the radiator
6. open valves to radiator
7. top up system pressure

????

I would expect the manufacturers are wanting to protect themselves from problems from the pipework and the EXISTING system.

Leaving X300 in a static rad will not do much good as it has to be circulating and warmed up.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gents, yes I believe the manufacturers want it warmed up.

I will no doubt hose out the radiator first anyway.

In essence I just wanted to check that any flux or debris that could have crept in, will not corrode the system in the 1-2 weeks that the cleaner is circulating the system.

After that duration I will drain the system and then intend to refill it and drain, 2 - 3 times, then fill and add an inhibitor product. (Fernox Concentrate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back