Black sludge after clean and re-fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I added some CH cleaner and ran in the system for about 2 weeks. I then drained and refilled the entire system. However, I have just removed a radiator whilst decorating (about 3 weeks after refilling) and the water was black.

I am now wondering if when I drained it, not all the water was drained, resulting in some of the cleaning solution still in the system.

Could this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
manually flushing a system never removes all the contents. or whats sitting in the bottom of rads etc.
but what you'll find left in the bottom shouldn't be a problem long as it's not sludge.

It could! Eventually. You don't want sludge!

If you have alot of sludge in the rads the best way (cheapest!) to shift it is to remove the rad and flush it out with a hose. Then run a sytem cleaner round for a couple of weeks, drain and refill with an inhibitor.

If you can afford £100 for a Magnaclean (people will say I'm obsessed) it will continue trapping any loose black sludge indefinitely. You will be surprised at how much, and for how long, it does this.

I fitted one in my mother's house during the summer, and even after a chemical clean and flush, it has been collecting reducing amounts of black ever since. Last week it was hardly dirty, but on previous checks I have found about a teaspoonful a week.

The advantage of using this kind of device is that it traps anything circulating, before it can get into the boiler or pump where it might cause more expensive trouble.

It is a fairly straightforward DIY plumbing fit. Emptying out the trapped sludge takes a matter of minutes and needs no plumbing.

Sponsored Links
(people will say I'm obsessed)

we don't say that. :LOL:

I do. You can always rely on JohnD to post his anecdote about the magnaclean he fitted round his mums. It never loses its fascination for me though - so no complaints here.

I fitted one over the weekend, at an undertakers, surrounded by dead bodies and oddly enough, a Harley Davidson. But, you don't want to hear about that!

Now, back to John

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

P.S. I also fitted a 28mm one a little while ago that ejected its top about 3 months after installation. That was a laugh as well.

You can always rely on JohnD to post his anecdote about the magnaclean he fitted round his mums. It never loses its fascination for me though - so no complaints here.

I shall try to find the opportunity to tell it again tomorrow, then :LOL:

Have I told you about the one I fitted in my old mum's house? I can show you pictures of it.

showing the grime on the collection sleeve - this lot was collected in a week of running, but after the initial clean, flush and emptying of the Magnaclean.

POL_0166.jpg

grime scraped off into the jar and sleeve rinsed clean

POL_0168.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back