cleaning tiles post adhesive, pre sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've layed my tiles and they're a bit mucky with water from the tile cutter and dirty water from cleaning bits of stray adhesive.

I want to get the tiles really clean before I seal them. Should I use any kind of product, or just clean fresh water (repeat) (repeat) etc!

Sponsored Links
Use a tile sponge to wet them then use the scourer side to loosen the slurry then plenty of rinsing with a fresh sponge and clean water.

if your using a tile that needs sealing, have you already sealed them pre laydown?

yeah, just want to get the really clean again before i seal.

Sponsored Links
isn't that a wee bit of scaremongering? I was under the impression that it is perfectly feasible to seal after laying and before grouting?

isn't that a wee bit of scaremongering? I was under the impression that it is perfectly feasible to seal after laying and before grouting?

depending on what type of tiles. the sealer can be an important factor, ive been to many houses over the years and saw first hand what the builders / chippies who dont realise or dont care that they are working with tiles that need sealing.

most times its not fixable.....

hmm, fair enough. On the occasion I layed travertine, I sealed after I layed it (before grouting) and it was fine.

hmm, fair enough. On the occasion I layed travertine, I sealed after I layed it (before grouting) and it was fine.

the way i work with anything that needs sealing is, seal before i put it up, seal before grout and one for luck when finished.

might seem a bit farty but never ever had a problem, better safe than sorry

I have just had a tiler lay my granite bathroom tiles. The local tile merchant sold me everything I could possibly need at great cost. The instructions from them were as follows.

I purchased the following.
Fila Stone cleaner (for routine cleaning according to the tile merchant)

Fila residue remover (for cleaning after laying and prior to sealing according to the tile merchant)

Fila Granite impregnator sealer (for using after residue remover prior to and after grouting according to the tile merchant)

The instructions on the Fila Sealer bottle actually say which I did question at the tile merchant.

Fit tiles.
Clean with Fila stone cleaner.
Apply Fila Sealer.
Grout.

There was no adhesive on the face of the tile when the tiler had layed them. But I used the Fila residue remover anyway (as per the tile merchants recommendation. Diluted 1:30 as per Fila instructions (what can this possibly accomplish). Then the sealer. Then the grout. Then the sealer.

Will my tiles be ok?

The reason I am asking after the event is I have the same Tiles to be layed in my kitchen at the weekend.

I think I probably did not need the Residue remover as the grout film rubbed off fairly easily with a cotton cloth and they did sell me enough Residue remover to clean 50m2. I only purchased 10m2 of tiles. :( :(

Thanks in advance gcol (Tiling God) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have just had a tiler lay my granite bathroom tiles. The local tile merchant sold me everything I could possibly need at great cost. The instructions from them were as follows.

I purchased the following.
Fila Stone cleaner (for routine cleaning according to the tile merchant)

Fila residue remover (for cleaning after laying and prior to sealing according to the tile merchant)

Fila Granite impregnator sealer (for using after residue remover prior to and after grouting according to the tile merchant)

The instructions on the Fila Sealer bottle actually say which I did question at the tile merchant.

Fit tiles.
Clean with Fila stone cleaner.
Apply Fila Sealer.
Grout.

There was no adhesive on the face of the tile when the tiler had layed them. But I used the Fila residue remover anyway (as per the tile merchants recommendation. Diluted 1:30 as per Fila instructions (what can this possibly accomplish). Then the sealer. Then the grout. Then the sealer.

Will my tiles be ok?

The reason I am asking after the event is I have the same Tiles to be layed in my kitchen at the weekend.

I think I probably did not need the Residue remover as the grout film rubbed off fairly easily with a cotton cloth and they did sell me enough Residue remover to clean 50m2. I only purchased 10m2 of tiles. :( :(

Thanks in advance gcol (Tiling God) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

hmmm gcol a god is he :eek:

ive never used fila, lithofin is my weapon of choice, but a dilute of 1:30 sounds like it must be strong as F*** neat.

read the post above yours for my ways, and i reiterate, ive never had a problem.

hmmm gcol a god is he :eek:
Erm capital "G" please jef. :LOL: ;)

bowing.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back