Travertine tiles[ not honed]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought these for kitchen floor etc and just practised laying in the pantry.Seem ok , have used a sealer before laying too keep things clean and again before grouting, do they need a third seal to close off the grout?.Any recommendation for sealer?, will need at least 5litre can.
Any tips for laying/cutting. Have rubi tile cutter and wet wheel cutter plus a grinder with tile blade.

Sponsored Links
When you say they aren't honed, I assume they haven't been filled then.
Cut them with the wet wheel, trying to cut them by breaking them will almost certainly lead to chips and breaks along the grain to some degree depending on how open the grain is.
When laying lay adhesive on the floor as normal and also butter the back of the tile to fill any voids in the grain.
I used LTP colour intensifier sealant which isn't cheap, but I have heard good things about B and Qs travertine sealer, yes seal again after grouting.

Thanks, confirmed what I have been doing. Have LTP sealer and seen 5ltrs online cheap. What's the minimum /maximum cement depth for floor tiles, may need to adjust depth around transition from hard floor to timber.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
read the manufacturers data sheets but generally 3-6mm with up to 12 or 15mm on limited areas.
You might be better adjusting the level with a self levelling compound first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back