Cleaning up internal stone flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas please how I can clean up an internal stone (York I think) floor? I got quoted £400 on the phone today for a space of less than 8m2 to clean, regrout (each one is massive so hardly any grouting), and seal. This price seems excessive for such a small area and I just don't have that kind of money. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You would have to supply a little more info. and some photos to be accurately helped?

20161013_092435.jpg

One photo attached. Area is a T shape no more than 8m2.

A solution put down would be useful, and also where to hire a machine to do the job (already tried DSS thanks). Then what to seal it with. That's about as much info as I can give you.

Sponsored Links
As above.

You could also call the tech dept's of large Mfr's of tile & stone sealers for advice.

Was the stone previously sealed?
Yes, I too think you have a Yorkshire stone and the first thing, as above, is to gently clean it and see what the surface comes up like - no flooding it or heavy scrubbing.

The narrow grout is a problem because if its actually holding back any moisture then it only needs the top to be lightly removed and made good.
Taping either side of the joins before grouting will save the stone from any grout disfigurement.

I wonder if sealing stone is the way to go - why, because the seal will inevitably wear and collect further dirt and might discolour the natural patina - just saying FWIW?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back