Clear or frosted glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having a garage conversion done. The garage has an existing rear window which is frosted, presumably to prevent anyone looking into the garage. I need to replace the window with a fire escape opening and have specified clear glass. The area at the rear of the garage will be a small utility room so will not be permanently habited.

The existing window faces my neighbours front door at a distance of about 2.5 metres, and is slightly offset from his bathroom window. We live in bungalows, so it's all ground floor. The neighbours door and bathroom window are frosted. He has expressed concern that with our new clear window, we will be able to see into his bathroom and affecting his privacy.

In reality, we will be able to see his window, but probably only see shadows of people inside.

What I need to know is basically am I breaking any building reg by installing clear glass facing an adjacent bathroom? Is it my neighbours responsibility to ensure privacy by closing his blinds, or is it my responsibility to ensure I can't look into his bathroom? I suppose I could argue that he should not parade his naked body where it can be seen by anyone!

If it does become an issue, I will simply install frosted stick on sheets to the inside of my window, which should solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
I think if you check with your local building officer, you'll find it will be mandatory you fit obscure glass and whether a window stick on film will suffice as it could possibly be removed by someone at some time hence (the word possible here is the point)...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back