Clear tile sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve some bathroom tiles that I think have been grouted with non waterproof grout. My question is, is there a clear sealant that I can use to cover the grout instead of starting all over again

Sponsored Links
Don't bother, it'll look a right mess. It'll look like you've emptied your nose all over the walls. :eek:
What makes you think it's not waterproof? Bear in mind that regular wall tile grout is only water RESISTANT and not WATERPROOF. There's a difference.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Don't bother, it'll look a right mess. It'll look like you've emptied your nose all over the walls. :eek:
What makes you think it's not waterproof? Bear in mind that regular wall tile grout is only water RESISTANT and not WATERPROOF. There's a difference.

:LOL: :LOL:

Technical terminology

You don't wanna use silicone instead of grout at all.
I asked the question before and I'll ask it again.....what makes you think it's not waterproof?
If there's something wrong with the grout you should remove it and re-grout it.

dustnbones
as gcol says is the grout black an mouldy looking , if yes , you need to scrap out an regrout , with a cement based water resistant grout :)

We have a problem with some of the grout getting mould on it in the bathroom..is there a anti mould/fungus grout on the market?

Is the grout smooth? Only asking cause if it's been mixed too fast with a paddle, it can get air into it and get a a surface texture that is cratered. That'll hold water and mould will form.
Most modern grouts should have some sort of anti mould additive in them.
You could try sealing it. Never sealed tiles myself though.

It is pretty smooth (like me on both counts!) I tiled it myself and I do like to work the joints well.

The worst areas are in the shower...strange thing ive noticed with some grout...it turns orangey

Yeah we get an orange cast to the grout in our shower too. Funny thing is though, every Sunday it disappears! :eek: :D

The original thinking behind this thread is that damp appears beneath the bath and to the right of the tiled wall where the shower head is and I've really no explanation apart from dodgy grouting.
Yes the grout appears smooth.There is a orange discolour on some of the grout. I read an item here somewhere that any sort of discolour could mean water is getting though. One tile also has a hairline crack too.
But does anyone know of a good grout sealer? Plan G is if this doesn't work then I'll have a go at re grouting

dustnbones
I would regrout them ... personally in my opinion

Zampa
smooth indeed ..lol :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back