Clear Varnish For Eggshell Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built some alcove and painted it with Eggshell paint. I primed the MDF prior to applying 2 coats of the eggshell. I am finding that it’s a dust magnet and I am constantly having to wipe it down and as a result I fear it may degrade the paint. Do you think I could apply a clear varnish to the wood to make it more durable? And if so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D5594611-292F-4CD8-B8D4-60011306D32C.jpeg
    D5594611-292F-4CD8-B8D4-60011306D32C.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
By the time the paint has ‘degraded’ as you say, the colour scheme will be out of fashion and you or a future owner will be painting it again anyway in a snazzy new colour.

But yes you can just paint over the top in a clear varnish. Any clear varnish will do the job. For indoor furniture I find rust oleum a products reliable.

Farrow and Ball Downpipe will NEVER go out of fashion. How dare you.

I don't understand you concerns. The eggshell should be easy to wipe down. That said, you used a F&B paint, all of their paints are waterbased. The coefficient of friction on WB paints is higher than the oil based equivalents but I wouldn't expect a massive difference with regards to keeping them clean.

Water based paint are far less durable than oil based paints.

My advice would be to get the colour matched in an oil based eggshell but I am not sure that you want to do that.

Sponsored Links
It wasn’t F and B I went to my Dulux trade centre and had them colour match it

Look up Rocktop.
Apply that over.

Scuff-x would of been a good product but there are many products you can apply over to make it a harder surface. Try Rocktop

If it is oil based then a light wipe with a cloth should not wear down the finish.

There are products which claim to have antistatic properties, I have no idea if they work or not though.

I think it appropriate to warn you that if you do use a clear varnish, you need to ensure that the area is completely dust free, otherwise fibres etc that are currently on the surfaces will be trapped in the clear varnish. You also need to key the existing paintwork before applying a clear coat, that may end up being visible through the clear coat.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back