Clearance around an electric wood burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m sorting out a chimney opening for the in-laws which will house one of those electric fake wood burners. I can’t see anything much about required clearance each side for these things, unlike real wood burners. Obviously they don’t get anywhere near as hot, but I’m planning on putting a 440mm wide fire (dimplex tango) in what will be about 570mm opening leaving about 60mm clearance each side.
Anyone know if this is likely to be an issue? No mention that I can see, of this in the installation guide.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it will be an issue, most of these 'fires' now have LED lighting and so when used in flame effect only they don't generate any significant heat. With most, the heat is produced by a fan heater that is slung underneath and is suspended above the floor, so some clearance will be required to allow sufficient air to be drawn in, and to allow access to any side mounted controls. The front outlet must be unobstructed though.

The manufacturers instructions should state if any specific clearances apply. If your worried set it up and run it for a while and see how hot is gets. I would only expect the external surfaces to get slightly warm.

Thanks. I called dimplex earlier and was told (sounded a bit anecdotal) 50mm, and I should have at least that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back