Clearing gap between sectional garages

Sponsored Links
my thoughts
if you do use nails angle them back [away from the handle]about 10-15degrees so the nails will be near vertical or only just forward facing so it will hook the load and scrape along rather than digging in to the soil when pulling at around waist level
a couple off k or 5lbs added to the "rake head" may help prevent it skipping off the detritus you are dragging

Last edited:
Drain rods, with one of these on the end?

Cracking idea, and I do in fact already possess a set of drain rods. Will give that a go.

Sponsored Links
You push them; that's the point of the (hinged) drop scraper.
Ah yes, that would make sense. I've moved on to something else since posting my OP, but the drain rod route will be my first port of call once I return to this task. Thanks all, once again.

Reckon it’s appropriate to provide an update.
I bought the Screwfix scraper thingy and attached it to the drain rods, taping all the connections to make sure I didn’t lose anything, and pushed it into the gap. The scraper is much smaller than the gap’s width so it took multiple “drags” to remove a decent amount of muck, but I made progress. Eventually I got bored and decided to check whether I could squeeze into the gap and to my astonishment, the answer was Yes, though it was flippin’ tight. So I took a length of 4x1, squeezed in and dragged out as much of the remaining gunk as possible, then blasted out what was left with a hosepipe. All this activity revealed a drainage channel on the floor of the gap, so from now on I should be able to keep it clear with the occasional jet of water.

Last edited:
Reckon it’s appropriate to provide an update.
I bought the Screwfix scraper thingy and attached it to the drain rods, taping all the connections to make sure I didn’t lose anything, and pushed it into the gap. The scraper is much smaller than the gap’s width so it took multiple “drags” to remove a decent amount of muck, but I made progress. Eventually I got bored and decided to check whether I could squeeze into the gap and to my astonishment, the answer was Yes, though it was flippin’ tight. So I took a length of 4x1, squeezed in and dragged out as much of the remaining gunk as possible, then blasted out what was left with a hosepipe. All this activity revealed a drainage channel on the floor of the gap, so from now on I should be able to keep it clear with the occasional jet of water.

The drop scraper has to be the small size that it is, so that it fits inside the drain pipe.

You could always get a bigger bit of sheet metal or similar, and bolt / rivet / weld it to the half - moon plate.

Glad you had success though (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back