Clio Alize ...one prob after another.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car has been losing small amounts of water for some time.The problem got very bad and before we took it to the garage again it was losing 2L every 2/3 days.
Last week the timing belt snapped whilst driving.I had it fixed along with the engine damage and a new water pump(mechanic said it had been leaking for some time).It now Drives nice but has lost 2L of water in 2/3 days of driving AGAIN.
I'm no mechanic and my question is -
1)New water pump
2)New head gasket
Whats causing this problem that seems to happen only when hot(drivng it)?

Sponsored Links
At least, two of the main factors seem to have been eliminated here......with the top off the expansion bottle, water will be expelled wholesale if the head gasket had failed...presumably it was removed to repair valve damage when the timing belt snapped?
The water pump is another very suspect item, but thats been replaced too.
So - we need to look at the other problem areas....internal heater matrix leaking - any sign of water on the carpets front midships, or curious smell inside the car?
The main radiator plus hoses - have a good look at the radiator core after the car has been driven. Any leaking water will collect at the bottom, and again there will be a pong around the car.
Are there any crusty deposits on the engine block or hoses? Can you use a mirror to look at the back of the engine?
Could water be escaping out of the expansion bottle filler cap? Its designed to let water out if it starts to boil - and sometimes does anyway!
John :)

As above, do you think the temperature gauge rises higher than it did?

At least, two of the main factors seem to have been eliminated here......with the top off the expansion bottle, water will be expelled wholesale if the head gasket had failed...presumably it was removed to repair valve damage when the timing belt snapped?
The water pump is another very suspect item, but thats been replaced too.
So - we need to look at the other problem areas....internal heater matrix leaking - any sign of water on the carpets front midships, or curious smell inside the car?
The main radiator plus hoses - have a good look at the radiator core after the car has been driven. Any leaking water will collect at the bottom, and again there will be a pong around the car.
Are there any crusty deposits on the engine block or hoses? Can you use a mirror to look at the back of the engine?
Could water be escaping out of the expansion bottle filler cap? Its designed to let water out if it starts to boil - and sometimes does anyway!

Seems to be collecting just below the rad.This is after running for around 5/10 mins stationary.Took it back tonight to the guy who done the head.I will post the outcome.What worried me before I took it to him was he said it maybe internally on the engine?Anyway he is putting it on a pressure test so fingers crossed it's just the rad.Car's only worth 800/1000 pound tops.Looking like I should have just got another now and not repaired.

Sponsored Links
I think the problem will be with the radiator itself.....not really that expensive, when exchanged at a motor factors.

Back