Clipped cables to exterior walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it still within regs to directly clip twin and earth externally to a wall providing the probability of damage is low?

Sponsored Links
PVC covered twin & earth is not suitable for use outside.
It degrades through UV and frost.
These make it unsuitable per BS7671 if you read the spec for the cable and consider the external influences covered on appendix 5.

Also, practical experience says it a No No.

It should be run in conduit or use Hi-Tuf or similar cable.

Sponsored Links
Although the NIC released an article which said it was fine for use outside clipped to a wall or structure as long as it was not in direct prolonged sunlight, and was clipped so as to prevent movement (a sparks clipping would be fine, a DIY'er who doesn't buy enough clips because he buys them from a handyman store for 99p for 5 would not).

And if anyone comes into this thread and utters the words "Arctic Flex", they should be shot.

Really strange.

I recently did remedials on a PIR done by an NICEIC company. They cited use of T&E on an outside lamp as code 2.

I code it as a 4 as long as it appears in good condition, if its degraded, it'll probably be a 2, and if it looks bad enough that I wouldn't want to risk touching it, then a 1

He takes up the first pressure inhales deeply releases the breath &...................................................................................................................BANG

You have been shot :LOL:

You should have followed it up with a 2nd one, in case he got up...

Re deterioration - I've got 20-30m of T/E (white, at that) which spent a long time (decades) clipped to an outside wall and a catenary cable, so fully exposed to all the elements. It's all nice and warm and dry now, and when I find my round tuit I'm going to IR test it, then put it to soak in water for a while then zap it again to see if it has become porous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back