Clipped Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi – I am replacing the downlights in my porch.

On reading the instructions, it says that they must be earthed. The cables for the current downlights have had the earth clipped. And on inspection of the junction box in the garage from which the downlight cable originates, someone had also clipped the earth cable at the beginning of that cable.

Inside that junction box are also the cables for the garage light and a couple of bollard lights in the front garden. They have all been connected to an earth. I have tried to show this in the picture below.

My question is this: Assuming that the earth in the picture is actually connected back from where it originates, can I just connect the earth feed from the downlights cable and then earth each downlight?

I hope this makes sense – I'd appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
My question is this: Assuming that the earth in the picture is actually connected back from where it originates, can I just connect the earth feed from the downlights cable and then earth each downlight?

If they say they must be earthed, then you must do that.

Check the earth connection in the box is really connected to earth (do a continuity check from the earth busbar/MET near the consumer unit to the box.

Then connect up the earth(cps) of each cable in the box and connect at the downlight(s) end.

Simples!

Sponsored Links
It could be that there is some slack in the cable that will allow the cables to be made off again and therefore hopefully the CPC/earth can then be connected.
If not providing room is available within enclosure, you can join/extend the CPC earth. If you cannot do this another option would to add lengths of cable using junction/joint boxes, but these joints must be left accessible unless you use maintenance free junction boxes or special terminations.

But you must firstly check that you have continuity of CPC/earth. You would also be wise to check for Ze and ZS to confirm an earth is available.

Thank you - yes, fortunately there is enough slack in the cables. I will definitely be testing the earth. Many thanks.

Hi - so I have successfully managed to earth three of the downlights and prove that the earth is connected via a continuity test.

However, I get no continuity on the remaining four downlights. My suspicion is that above the porch ceiling the cable between downlight 3 and downlight 4 must have been joined with a choc block (but the earth cable wasn't connected).

This is very annoying because I really want to avoid pulling the ceiling down. What I think I can do is feed a new cable between downlights 3 and 4 and connect the two ends to the earths. This should then lead to successful continuity for the remaining four downlights.

Can anyone see a problem with me doing this? All seven lights are definitely on the same breaker (at least if I trip the breaker, all seven lights go out).

Many thanks

Can you use the existing cable between lights 3 and 4 as a draw wire, and pull a new piece of cable through, and get rid of the joint altogether?

Yes, I suppose I could just do that. The only trouble is that because I can't see exactly what's up there between downlights 3 and 4, I'm nervous of bypassing what's there. The downlights are connected to a PIR sensor and lightswitch in the hallway you see. I wouldn't want to bypass the existing cabling only to find that I create another problem.

Would my idea of just running a new cable to achieve an earth be acceptable?

Many thanks.

What about trying the lights with the existing link bypassed temporarily. You could just run a bit of cable on the surface to try it, and if everything still works, as I suspect it will then happy days.

I personally don't like the idea of just running an earth, and leaving some sort of unknown joint somewhere that you can't get to.

Thank you - yes that's a great idea. Will give it a try on Saturday - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back