Clipping direct 18th ed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious as to what fixings people are using when clipping direct - is there still a place for plastic cable clips? Was with a fella a couple days ago who was still using plastic clips, but was putting galvanised band over cables every meter or so in addition - seemed like a pragmatic solution, if rather inelegant. What fixings/methods are others using to meet the requirements for preventing premature cable collapse....

Sponsored Links
Return of the old buckle clips ?

Edit: I could see a market developing for an "18th ed" version of the plastic clip - perhaps a high-temperature plastic or a metal insert.

Sponsored Links
It seems acceptable to only have to do certain fireproof fixings, at say a metre or so,its main purpose as you know, is to give at least some support, i have seen this a lot as the reg was about some time before, but only for certain areas, i have seen it with pvc conduit using metal spacer bar saddles as well as cables combining pvc and metal cable ties.
I once spanned a fire exit above a false ceiling using tray and metal ties, so my 3 armoureds were supported (though 50mm screws in rawlplugs fixing the tray could be debatable), despite numerous other cables already laid on the ceiling grid.

Just curious as to what fixings people are using when clipping direct - is there still a place for plastic cable clips? .... What fixings/methods are others using to meet the requirements for preventing premature cable collapse....
As I have written a number of times before, I think that there is only a very limited number of situations in which failure of all of the cable clips would/could result in "premature cable collapse". In the great majority of situations, connections to accessories, holes in walls/ceilings, other means of mechanical support etc. will continue to prevent a cable 'collapsing'/falling, even if all the clips/whatever fail.

It seems to me that about the only situation in which such collapse would be possible is when a surface cable goes round an internal corner (particularly between a wall and ceiling), supported only by clips - and that's a pretty unusual situation (particularly for new work), since it looks so skanky!

Kind Regards, John

Of course, this whole thing relies upon the person installing it to actually give a flying flip to what they are doing.
Instead of just slapping it up and getting the hell outta there once they are paid.

Of course, this whole thing relies upon the person installing it to actually give a flying flip to what they are doing. Instead of just slapping it up and getting the hell outta there once they are paid.

Very probably true. I'm also sure that a lot will avoid the need to do any thinking (if they're capable of it) by simply using metal cable clips/whatever for everything (at least, 'everything on the surface'), without regard to the fact that this will only rarely be needed to satisfy the regulation regarding 'premature collapse' of cables!

Kind Regards, John

Return of the old buckle clips ?

PH4060m.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back