Clips and screws for balconey railing repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The balconey on my house has glass panels which are kept from falling out with beads these are held in place with clips. The clips have all rotted out now so the beads are falling off in some places, especially when my wife hits them with her washing pole. LOL

I believe I can replace the clips and use self-tapping screws to put the beads on again. However, I've no idea what these clips looked like as they've completely gone.

Have a look at attached photo.

Anyone know what sort of clip is needed and if a self-tapping into aluminium will be good/work? I'd like to maintain the current look.

And then I intend to paint the metal to help protect it.

Thanks.

20210915_091355.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don’t need to change like for like , many options for glazing mounting.

I'm clueless about this so I'll need suggestions for alternates.

Replacing the clips seemed the simplest/easiest way.

Sponsored Links
Possibly, also check with your neighbours if they have had similar issues/solutions?

Having spoken to a couple of neighbours and looking at their balconies - They had just used screws to reaffix the beads and than painted them.

So looking for the appropriate self-tapping and will just work on it slowly with a mate and a long ladder. Shouldn't take long.

stainless steel the best choice?

Paradoxically stainless is not a good choice!
It can cause a galvanic reaction with aluminium that causes corrosion.
A galvanised self-tapper screw is actually a better option :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back