How can I lock some screws in place in a shower door?

K

Klaus_K

I have a hinged sliding shower door, which runs on a set of plastic clips that are mounted at the top and bottom of the door. The clips are held in place by self-tapping screws that screw into the door itself.

The problem is that the act of opening and closing the doors has the effect of undoing the screws, so that the thing falls apart after a few weeks.

Can anybody suggest some glue or paint or similar that I could use to stop the screws from undoing? I've thought about superglue, but I think this would be too fast acting to allow me to screw the things into place.

Any suggestions most appreciated

Sponsored Links
try thread lock
Not an Engineer by any chance are you :?:
Thread lock is a good suggestion but relies on a close fit over a continuous thread length to exclude air to cure & it's fairly expensive; much cheaper & more likely to work is a good dab of clear silicone on the screw; but clean everything off well first as silicone wont stick to soap ;)

That's the stuff! I knew something existed to solve this problem, but I couldn't remeber what it was called - obvious now though :)

Thanks for a prompt response!

Sponsored Links
I am going for the thread lock option - I've ordered some off eBay for around £3, which doesn't strike me as that expensive - maybe I'm just being flash :)

The screws screw into solid plastic blocks at the top and bottom of each door, which gives me the 'continuous thread length excluding air' as far as I can see. So, bottom lne - it ought to work.

Please let me know if/why you think this is the wrong idea - 'inside' jokes about engineers just confuse me :rolleyes:

It should work just fine.....its used many times in engineering applications. Once its set, due to air exclusion, it can be released by using heat - but only very gently in your case!
John :)

I am going for the thread lock option - I've ordered some off eBay for around £3, which doesn't strike me as that expensive - maybe I'm just being flash :)
Can’t say how “flash” you are but look at how much you get for the price you pay; in comparison.

Please let me know if/why you think this is the wrong idea - 'inside' jokes about engineers just confuse me :rolleyes:
Which one did you buy :?: My “Engineer” comment was not intended to be a joke or even criticism of others but it maybe was taken as such. :confused:

It should work just fine.....its used many times in engineering applications. Once its set, due to air exclusion, it can be released by using heat - but only very gently in your case!
You sure it works in Nylon :?: I advise you look at the spec, not much will stick to nylon.

Understood, but if it works then I shouldn't ever need to undo it; if the screws keep coming undone then the door will break completely in any case, and then I'd have to buy another one. So at the moment, I don't have too much to lose.

I don't think that the plastic is Nylon and I appreciate that some plastics are hard to glue to, but I'll just have to take a gamble. The threadlock is 10ml, which ought to be enough for the six or so screws that I've got to process, so I'm hopeful in that respect, if nothing else.

It works by filling in the gap thats left between the self tap threads and the substance they are screwing into....in a moving structure this would be called thread 'chatter', causing the threads to back off. Klaus has nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Threadlock is used by model helicopter pilots on control linkages to prevent movement and works just fine even with all the vibration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back