Cloakroom under stairs

me1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just registered. Does anyone know if planning permission is required to convert an under the stairs cupboard (off the kitchen) into a downstairs cloaks with toilet and washbasin?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only if its a listed house. Then it would be listed building consent anyway.

You will need Building Regs approval though.

I'm not knowledgable about the regs, but I was told that in any new installation, a door to a toilet cannot open directly into the kitchen. I.e there had to be two doorways between a toilet and the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who has replied. Didn't know about building regs so thanks once again.

My husband has been in touch with building regs and they say we are ok but need to install a saniflo system as we have raft foundations and cannot dig through them. Has anyone any experience of saniflo? Are they reliable and can you use ordinary toilets and wash basins with their pumps?

They're OK and get you out of a fix if you have no other choice. Their website is pretty good and make it easy to select the appropriate model.

I would only use a Saniflo or similar if it is impossible to run the waste to the sewer without one. Usually you can.

need to install a saniflo system as we have raft foundations and cannot dig through them
Macerators are pants and need to be avoided at all cost.

Is there no outside wall nearby?

You will also need consider ducting the extractor fan to the outside wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back