Clock slow on Rover Mini Cooper Sport 500's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mini Cooper Sport 500 (not BMW model) and the clock is slow about an hour per day, the car starts okay assuming that'll rule out battery problem? I can get the clock out of the dashboard, is there any way to test it? Could I connect the clock to my 12v battery charger to keep an eye on it indoor?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, but best to put a battery in to stabilise the voltage.

With the clock still connected in the car, check the supply voltage at the back of the clock. It should be the same as across the battery. Hopefully it will be down a few volts, due to a bad connection.

If this is one of the original Mini's with a mechanical clock I think there is an adjustment on them to correct the timekeeping, I doubt that low voltage would make it run that slow - but you never know.

Peter

Thanks, will let you know how I got on, it's 2001 model, in the year the last 500 mini's special edition ever made

Sponsored Links
Didn't these Mins have a voltage regulator to prevent the fuel / oil guages from going haywire.....sort of a smoothing capacitor?
John :)

Losing about 5 mins per 24hrs via the 12v battery charger and can't see any adjustment settings, might have to take it apart, got nothing to lose, I can see a printed circuit board inside the casing

I don't know this clock, I was thinking it was a '50/60s Mini, sorry :oops:

Peter

Common fault on these last mini with that particular clock (with the hand adjuster in the middle on the front).

I also have a Sport 500 with the same issue, and it appears to be the Crystal Oscillator soldered on to the printed circuit board - it needs around 13.5 Volts to keep time, which in mine means whilst I am driving and the engine is charging the battery it keeps time.

I've got two of these, same fault on both. I will be attempting to repair one to see if it can be fixed. Problem is to get into the thing you have to butcher the front chrome ring as the clock comes out the front!

Another option would be to build a DC to DC voltage converter so it always has 13.5v going into the clock.

The earlier clocks which are interchangable as found on the pre-2000 cars were made by a different manufacturer and do not seem to suffer this problem, so getting one with the hand adjuster on the bottom right of the front would be another option, although I prefer the ones that don't keep time to look at :(

Good idea the DC to DC converter, welcome to the forum hennasxi

Sponsored Links
Back